electronic ear defenders

mel

I was out today with the shotgun wearing my electronic ear defenders. These amplify the sounds around me and whilst I can hear the wildlife a lot clearer it also dawned on me that I could hear myself a lot clearer. I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to move even slower and quieter listening to the noises I was making.

Possibly a very useful training aid for stalkers?

I may start wearing them for stalking in the winter months anyway, not only to remind me that I am not as quiet as my normal hearing suggests I am, but also to keep my lugs warm whilst not blocking out sound. :)

Mel

Last edited:
What make/type of ear defenders do you have?

Picked up Walker HD hearing devise whilst in the States. Basically like a hearing aid. Works well, although you really need one in each ear (twice the cost)!

Joe

I was out today with the shotgun wearing my electronic ear defenders. These amplify the sounds around me and whilst I can hear the wildlife a lot clearer it also dawned on me that I could hear myself a lot clearer. I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to move even slower and quieter listening to the noises I was making.

Possibly a very useful training aid for stalkers?

I may start wearing them for stalking in the winter months anyway, not only to remind me that I am not as quiet as my normal hearing suggests I am, but also to keep my lugs warm whilst not blocking out sound. :)

Mel

I did that last year. For the first time in my life I bought electronic ear muffs and as I walked about ( on a cock day ) I kept looking round to see who was behind me then I realized that it was me. I could here birds , the dog walking behind me, the lot. So I went to the doctor. Now I have 2 hearing aids as Im 60% deaf.

Mark

I use Peltor Sport tac ear defenders: I use them for all range work and hunting.
Can plug the hunting radio direct into them. They do make me realise what a deaf old git I've become:old:

What make/type of ear defenders do you have?

Joe

I've a couple of pairs. A large cammo pair I got from the bargain bucket in a Bass Pro shop over in the States for about $50 about 5 years back, these are Ok and they have an input socket for radios etc but when you do that they don't applify the external sounds anymore. The daughter plugs her i-pod in to them when I take here to press the buttons at the clay range - depending on her mood and choice of music for the day depends how loud I have to shout "Pull"! If a clay doesn't appear a quick glance round will usually get a shrug and a response of "What?". The clay then sets off whilst my head is turned. I find it sharpens my reflexes (but tests my patience) :rolleyes:

I've also just bought a pair made by Bisley from Mole Valley Farmers that are thinner and the sound is OK for the price. These were about £40 and were the ones I was using the other day. If you're not bothered about looks and colour Toolstation do some for under £20 but I don't know what the quality is like.

I also use them when I occassionaly go wildfowling, I find I can hear the birds a lot clear and know the direction they are coming from without always having to pop up too early from behind the net.

If you're not bothered about looks and colour Toolstation do some for under £20 but I don't know what the quality is like.

I bought a pair through work during the summer and they're still going okay. Bright yellow colouring can be muted with a bit of paint. I asked the guy behind the counter if they were having any returned u/s and he said they hadn't had any back, but anyway a 3 year warranty on them for less than a twenty spot makes them look a bargain.

Mel, i have been wearing them for some time know when stalking or shooting without a mod. As you say hearing is enhanced and you are very aware of what is happening around you. I use a custom set made to fit inside my ear no different to a hearing aid. They cost a lot but what price is your hearing worth. I have many pals all current shooters or former army mates that have really poor hearing and all wish they had taken more care over the years. you just don't realize your hearing is being damaged until its too late !!
Simon

Orion, just ordered 2 pairs from amazon, free postage, and coppers under £16 per pair, as said, a couple of cans of spray paint will soon have them cammo'd, my hearing is shot to shite but if I can get my lad to wear them and it saves him, like me, having to say "Ay?" every time someone speaks to me 'cause of the deafness and pemnament ringing from tinnitus some good will come of it, just wish I'd bought some years ago... callie

........... my hearing is shot to shite but if I can get my lad to wear them and it saves him, like me, having to say "Ay?" every time someone speaks to me 'cause of the deafness and pemnament ringing from tinnitus some good will come of it, just wish I'd bought some years ago... callie

Callie, ditto for me. At the price they can almost be deemed 'consumables' and they do work - the only drawback I can see is that as they amplify everything around you, someone making a whispered snide remark about your shooting from behind the firing point may not be quite so safe from retribution anymore! :cool:

Silverline, (non-Tactical or Sport so cheap-as-chips :D),Electronic Ear Defenders:

View attachment 4126

I always keep a corded pair of swimming ear plugs (silicone), in the dash of the Landrover, as I frequently forget to pack ear muffs when going to the range, surprisingly they keep out the report of a 45/70 chucking 400 grainers!

Finn, I've got some of those yellow squishy ones in the bottom of my shooting bag but can never find the perishing things...callie

I was told that the problem with ear plugs as oppossed to ear muffs is that the ear drum is just under the surface of the skin at the bottom of the ear and just blocking up the hole is not good enough to prevent damage as some of the sound goes in through the skin. You need to cover the whole of the area up which is why ear muffs are so good. I have a pair of bisleys and I find them very good.

Mark

best pay for some quality defenders. Due to some of the ol'boys i know havin tinnitus 9somethign like that) a ringing in the ear, they have had to quit !! best do things right - i was going to post a link, but best not.( advertising) See 'walkers'

I use emtec labs in the ear defenders. Tailored fit, silicone but with a special helix device which allows you to hear whilst protecting you.Were about 50 quid originally.

I use emtec labs in the ear defenders. Tailored fit, silicone but with a special helix device which allows you to hear whilst protecting you.Were about 50 quid originally.

They have gone up a bit in price, however they do keep a record of your ear moulding for 5 years I think, so if you lose them can just phone up for replacements. I use them for work out on the hardstanding with 6 plus helicopters making noise and think they are pretty good. Work pays for a new pair each year, so have set for work and set for shooting.

I got peltor sportacs £100 and way better than mole valley cheapies. Forgot them today so had to wear ordinary ear defs what a difference.

Makes me laugh when one or two clever arse beaters start slating guns on shoot days not realising they can be heard

Back