any suggestions for a good guide for wolf and lynx shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you want to shoot a lynx?? You cannot eat a lynx or a wolf and unless it is raping your livestock then an only assume you are doing it for fun or because you can.

Each to their own, but as an ethical stalker/shooter I find this unacceptable.

I hope you pay a lot for this, an awful lot.

Think your superior attitude is uncalled for.

You dont know this guy yet you confirm to him you are superior to him.:banned:
I dont eat fox but it dont stop me shooting them because they are vermin, as are i suspect wolf and lynx.

Lynx are extremely efficient predators of roe deer, I am sure some of our Scandinavian contributors will give more details. Now I have no interest in shooting them but that does not mean they don’t need controlling, especially if you want enough excess roe to be able to harvest a few for your freezer.

Wolves will seek out and kill your hunting dogs as well as knocking off live stock and keeping the deer numbers down, again I don’t want to shoot a wolf personally but that does not mean that in curtain circumstances it is not necessary.

ATB

Tahr

You dont know this guy yet you confirm to him you are superior to him.:banned:
I dont eat fox but it dont stop me shooting them because they are vermin, as are i suspect wolf and lynx.

I think I mentioned vermin control in my initial explanation maybe you should re read it And please do not put words in my mouth or anything for that matter.
I expressed a view nothing more. If you want to shoot lynx you can same as my dog can lick its arse, but it is not for me.

Last edited:
Hi Short shot
I have just looked at your profile which is un filled, why not fill your profile in and tell us about yourself and what you hunt and shoot ? before you get sarky with every one else on here about what they may want to hunt Just because you think it so unethical to you.:dummy:

Gentlemen,

we have seen these what appear to be quite innocuous posts get out of hand before, so can we please avoid it this time. A member has asked for advice on hunting a particular quarry species, and has been subjected to attack because someone else disagrees with his choice of hunt. Now if the comments and replies could be kept within the forum requirement of civility then peace will reign.

Short shot, you have four post's to your credit only joined this month and already are in the midst of a potential nuisance thread. Now as you have already indicated a willingness to translate text into Yorky for the benefit of members, perhaps you would like to post an introduction (a site requirement) also for the benefit of members.

John

I have updated the profile and will do the introduction if I care to stay a member. The reason I got sarcastic was in response was the implication that "I am superior" to the poster which is simply and clearly not true and was intended to provoke a response, which it did. I have edited the post.

Just not overly keen on shooting predators unless they are a problem.

Just did some a little research there and found this for you if it's any help, seems a good place to go http://www.shootingenterprise.com/main/163/Wolf.html They don't have lynx but the have most others e.g. deer, boar, bear, fox the list goes on Hope this helps, Roe
Jan Urban of Shooting enterprise is a well respected gentleman and I am sure will do his best to satisfy you.
Incidentally, I was on a driven Boar shoot in Croatia a few years ago and a Wolf came by me at a very short distance, I found it fascinating to see and know it did not know I was so close to it.
I did not shoot it and was B*****d by the forester, as apparently, it was resposible for a lot of dogs and poultry being savaged in the area.
This was not to be confused with the European Coyote, a similar animal but different !!

Last edited:
I must admit to not wanting to shoot any of the two ask for and i cant for the life of me see why any one would but thats there choice. I have been offered wild boar shooting in france and turned it down the reason is i was told that none of the animal if i was luckie enough to shoot one would come back with me. I like to have a reason to cull an animal and traveling to shoot one for the wall dosnt do it for me but .Best of luck with your quest.

A friend of mine has organised trips to the east of Russia, for bear and wolf culling - not sure about lynx..

I can ask but I guarantee it wont be a cheap trip, well into 4 figures I expect.

Pretty certain the hunts are around the Kharbarosky (sp) area and involve numerous flights into the area using ex mil helicopters....

I will ask if he still arranges them, if you wish.

Surprised there has been more than just one "judgmental" post. Just because it's 'not for you' does not mean there's not a good reason for shooting these. I used to sell hunts in Estonia and they have to control wolves by carefull population counts. Their problem is probably similar to other countries which have wolves - specifically that once the population rises above a certain figure, they then run in large packs of 12 or more. The Estonian guides told me that once they are in packs of 12-15 , then they pretty well kill everything in their path and not just sick or weak animals. You should see their pens where they keep chickens or rear pheasants/ partridges!! They have to use 8 foot high steel chain link fencing with floppy tops and sometimes add electric wire.
Lynx, as an earlier poster said, predate upon a large number of animals and are efficient killers of roe deer, other 4 legged small game and also birds - so they also have to be kept in check.
Instead of jumping in with both feet, shortshot would have been better to ask why first......

Last edited:
Diana Hunting Tours based in Demark offer wolf hunts in Bosnia for about €1000 with the same again as a trophy fee if successful. Wolf whether in Europe, Canada or Russia are basically animals of opportunity and any hunt will have a relatively low success rate, unless baits or lamps or involved.............

I have a friend that hunted elk and boar in Estonia, lynx were offered there on the trophy list (again around €1000), but again an animal of opportunity. A bit like going to Scotland stalking and expecting to see a pine martin!

Dama

The scandanavian hunting magazines are full of pictures of the remains of hunting dogs chewed up by wolves, I cannot read the articles but the pictures generally tell the story. The Norwegians seem to hate wolves whilst the Swedes are more tolerent.

i would also like to hunt a wolf and my reasons being they are a predator at the top of what they do with amazing senses and to stalk one would be very difficult they do alot of damage to livestock and deer just like the fox for a keeper i personally see no difference ,atb wayne

Thanks lads it something for late 2011 /2012 so just looking at the moment,
i am surprised by the people that disagree , thought we all hunted !
has anybody shot bears in canada because i have relatives out there and thought that might be fun too

I dont think stalking or shooting a predator is that difficult many many fall alot easier than deer . I dont know how numerous they are but i for one could not understand any one wanting to travel a cross the see to shoot a fox and like wise i cant understand any one from here paying big bucks to shoot a pest. But if i was there and i was on a drive and a wolf came through i would take it if the organiser had stated they were shot on site.;). leave them to the locals to sort out thats what i say

On out bulgarian boar bash Bulgarian driven boar.. there were wolves present in the area. When the beaters became aware that these predators were there they were happy if not keen for us to shoot them or at them on sight. Clearly they would have an effect in driving out and influencing the local prey species and our efforts to drive them from the area would be beneficial.

When 4 wolves break out of the first drive of your trip you know things are going to be a little bit more frosty. Having no desire to shoot one initially but being offered the chance in the interests of the local area may change your moral stand.

Why would you want to shoot a lynx?? You cannot eat a lynx or a wolf and unless it is raping your livestock then an only assume you are doing it for fun or because you can.

Each to their own, but as an ethical stalker/shooter I find this unacceptable.

I hope you pay a lot for this, an awful lot.

And may i ask why you shoot deer short shot ? and do you eat them all ? Answer , no , you do it because you enjoy it i,e for fun . Different countries have different cultures and problems , better a paying client puts some money into the local economy than a problem animal is shot as vermin . Ive shot boar in poland because i wanted to and really enjoyed it , i fact i would recomend mike roberts company , country sports to anyone . I dont think you thought that reply through and maybe you should sit down and have a long hard think about ethics before you pick up your gun again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back