I recently received a Brno #1 rifle as a replacement to one I'd ordered earlier from my favorite distributor. The rifle is beautiful but my first two trips to the range were a mixed bag for accuracy. I would get one or two exactly where I think they should have been, and then one drastically out. I wrote it off to the weather: damned cold and windy. The typical Montana winter mix.
Today I took a bit of time to shoot it again. It is blizzarding, of course, but this time I shot from the comfort of the driver's seat in my Jeep. I have shot thousands of rounds at varmints like this while driving the back-country and I am quite good at it. Well, the groups were again, spotty. Better with high speed ammunition than standard velocity which was surprising. Usually these Brno's are not fussy in the least.
When I got home and got my eyeballs thawed, I took a magnifier to the muzzle to check the rifling. Someone had recessed (if you can call it that) the rifling back almost a half inch. The drill bit they used -and it was a drill bit by the look of it- was just a bit larger than the groove diameter of the barrel, and not overly straight. That would explain a lot.
So. Before dinner the hacksaw came out, along with some files, a rotary carbide ball cutter and a small toolmakers square and I had at it.
The barrel is now an inch shorter and I will miss the front sight for the time being. The crown is smooth and the rifling is crisp. I think it will shoot.
I was explaining the process to a friend of mine tonight and seeing the look of horror on his face when I mentioned the hacksaw. I was again reminded that coming from a tradesman's life can be a good thing. ~Muir