I am very unclear what the position is regarding moderators and proofing. My dilemma comes about because there are conflicting views and lack of clarity legally. Take the following:
- Moderators seem to be sold proofed and unproofed.
- legal rulings in the earlier part this decade (approx. 2003) seem to suggest that a moderator is not part of a barrel and therefore does not require proofing
- advice that a barrel and moderator shuld be proofed together
- countless folk seem to make their own moderators and do not proof them
- you can chop and change moderators between rifles at your own discretion (assuming you advise Firearms Licensing).
Does anyone have a defintive view? I should say also, that I am not wanting to start a debate on safety/common sense but just trying to get a handle on what the legal position is.