Whose using all those TSX bullets then?

User00023

from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12098576

The price of copper has hit a new all-time high, rounding off a year in which industrial metals rebounded strongly. It peaked at $9,631.75 per metric tonne on the London Metal Exchange, its highest ever level, before falling back slightly.

I'm usless at converting tonnes into grains but imagine there must be one heck of a homeloader out there somewhere. :-|

1 metric tonne = 15 432 358.4 grains

@ $9,631.75 per tonne that's 1602.24 grains per $

So :-| before manufacture there's 16 100gr bullets per $'s worth. That means then that a box of 100x 100gr bullets for reloading will be worth $6.25 (£4.01) of base material. Add on manufacture costs and multiple shipping charges, at least trebble handling in there too and they're going to sting!

ps .... I'm sh1t at maths so the figures are probably a load of pish

Last edited:
Cheers Paul! I hate to think what I'll end up paying next time I put in an order for 200 factory loads. I've only just stopped crying over the £175 per hundred I paid last spring. :cry:

cheers paul! I hate to think what i'll end up paying next time i put in an order for 200 factory loads. I've only just stopped crying over the £175 per hundred i paid last spring. :cry:

Reload ;):)

:eek: I make it a rule that hunting ammo must not cost more than 50p a throw. My reloaded 150gr nosler B'tips work out at about 45p but the bullets don't come from the UK. Yes i'm as tight as a ducks arse.

That's the going rate for spears up Scotland way, is it? :lol:

:rofl::lol::rofl:

I have just been given 63 Barnes TSX to use up, thank you Neil, and am looking forward to seeing how they work. As for £175/100, one of our local stockists (bandits) charged me £1.80 a bang for RWS 140gn's.

HNY, Simon

:evil: well they charged me £40.70 for ONE box of 20 Remington Express 165 Gr Core-Lockt then the importers wonder why they don't sell more :eek: perhaps it's because we are not all millionaires and don't appreciate being ripped off.

I happen to think that the .78p per round I am paying for federal Fusion 150 Gr in 270 Winchester is more than enough :cry:.

Edit:- forgot to point out the initial box of ammo sent was over 12 years old but still priced at todays prices. The replacement box is fairly new being just shy of 6 years old.

Last edited:
Edit:- forgot to point out the initial box of ammo sent was over 12 years old but still priced at todays prices. The replacement box is fairly new being just shy of 6 years old.

Brit, the way you go about it that box of ammo should have been featured on Time Team :lol: Mind you, I have never used 12 year old rifle ammunition, knowingly! But I did buy some very old stock paper-cased Eley Maximum shotgun cartridges once upon a time, they were not nice to use :eek:

It does make me think that the people I bought 1" Sako rings from, the Northallerton Gunshop, at the "old" price as they were "old" stock, are unusual in their good customer service. Nice people to deal with!

Simon

Simon I have ammunition here dating back to 1897 however I knew it was old when I brought it and was not be charged 2010 prices for it and being sold and fresh new ammo. Yes I am right peeved with the shop and the Importers. The shop looked up a price supposedly in the price list, clever that when it has not been listed for some years :-| and remember this was to fire form to a new shape and the older the brass the harder it gets. Brass ages and as it does so loses ductility.

As a customer I have been lied to by the shop and lied to by the importer. remington is not the best make of ammunition either. It's basic run of the mill stuff yet at their prices you would think it's the best there is.

If both the shop had been up front I would not be so annoyed however I was treated as if "I knew nothing" and as I put it to Derek Edgar what would ahve happened if the ammo had proved exceptionally accurate and I wanted more? They certainly could not supply it that was the ONLY box and there is no more as it was dropped years ago. It would appear that no one thought it worthy of mention that the ammunition was long out fo production so as to let the customer make the decision whetehr to accept it or not.

Back