Solvents for ultrasonic cleaners

rodkayak

Following a recent tip from this forum, I bought a u/sonic cleaner from Lidl's. I have been using vinegar & washing-up liquid. Does anyone else have their favourite concoctions as I am just starting out on my voyage of brass alchemy.

I use fairy liquid and baking soda, the bubbles from the baking soda are meant to assist with cleaning but it may be complete rubbish. The cases look clean though!

From my days in the lab:

Water 99%
Ammonia: 1%
Three drops of washing up liquid

I'd keep away from vinegar as acetic acid residues will remain and start the corrosion process.

Tony

Limulus, From my lab days (Metals Research) I would avoid ammonia. Probably 1% soln. will do no harm but stronger solutions will destroy the bond between the grain boundaries in brass and cause minute cracks. On similar threads I have warned against using Brasso for cleaning cases.

I'm just going on what we used for the females jewellery (apart from a bit of degassing use thats all the ultrsonic bath was used for)
If metallurgy is your area then obviously your advise should be taken

Atb

Tony

I have read that diluted Birchwood Casey case cleaner is very effective used in ultrasonic cleaners, but haven't tried it yet. Iosso works but it is much more expensive than BC. I think people have spent hours trying all sorts of concoctions of vinegar and washing up liquid, etc. but most of the results I have heard about point towards BC as being the most effective.

Last edited:
In the past i have used a small ultrasound cleaner with flat coke to clean very small brass scuba regulator parts, and it made them gleam. We also used very dilute glacial acetic acid, basically vinegar and again it fairly cleaned them. The manufacturer of the cleaners and service kits recommended various propriatory cleaning agents, all expensive. I probably used the above for over 20 years with absolutely no problems or issues. All the parts were washed down with hot water soapy water and then cold water and allowed to dry before re assembly.

I am in no way recommending the above as i am no expert on reloading, but it worked for brass scuba parts.

I use neat vinegar in my ultrasonic, I did 50 today and they are absolutely mint when they have been cycled a few times. I rinse them in water afterwards and dry them in the oven at 80 degrees for 30 mins.

Read This article >>>>> http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Last edited:
going off at a slight tangent , does anybodybody use an ultrasonic cleaner on sound mods ? If you do how do you get them totally dry and would you soak them in WD40 or similar afterwards to prevent rusting ?

go to maplins 1 bottle sea green lasts for ages a couple of 5 min burts job done spotles inside & out

going off at a slight tangent , does anybodybody use an ultrasonic cleaner on sound mods ? If you do how do you get them totally dry and would you soak them in WD40 or similar afterwards to prevent rusting ?

poole harbour

Be Careful!! This exact same question was raised in the past and the informed response was "don't clean a non-strippable moderator in an ultrasonic cleaner":

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....sonic-cleaners&highlight=ultrasonic+moderator

willie_gunn

There seems to be a theory that exists with little evidence to back it up apart from a little name dropping.

Unless someone can quantify this alleged damage re ultrasonic induced weld fractures and an undefined non strip-able mod
it would seem that the 'theory' is just p*ssing in the wind.

Please cite a proven ultrasonically induced fatigue fracture on a moderator including mod material, power, frequency, immersion time, temperature, weld cross sections, weld inclusions, x-ray, type of weld and cleaning solvent.

Using the politically correct 'precautionary principle' as a counter argument to hide behind is NOT ACCEPTABLE in any form.

Let us decide this question on proven facts and evidence alone before giving advise, not "I think...."

Too many myth proponents around.

As to the WD40, IMHO it would seem to turn hygroscopic after a couple of weeks, never use the stuff any more. Better to fully dry and use a propriety gun oil. :)
BTW in my trade I love WD40, brings me loads of repair work!!!!

Last edited:
warm water with a little sprinkle of DAZ washing power stirred in a glass, then popped in the ultra sonic before cleaning cases makes them ......MINT! nothing else needed, just rinse with wram water, pop on a towel & in airing cupboard some place warm. Done ready to size whatever :)

Last edited:
Ha,
Took a while to get it but its the mutts nuts, "Hornady One Shot Sonic Clean Solution"
And it doesnt smell like Grimsby Docks!
And there no need to nutralise
I just wash them off in deironised water and dry - Bootifol!!

Back