Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the Ranges of all the Various Types of Deer Pushing Further and Further Out.

Are the Ranges of all the Various Types of Deer Pushing Further and Further Out.

Hi there
    As in the case of Muntjac Are the Ranges of all the Various Types of Deer Pushing Further and Further out.
    We have a heard of Fallow not to far away. but as far as i know they dont push out into the surounding area. (perhaps they are shot hard)
    I got the impression from various posts that over the country for example Reds, and Fallow are extending there ranges.
    Is this the case, what are your thoughts.
    Here in north yorkshire in the seventies we did not have any roe, now they are everywhere.
    All the Best
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Fallow are extending their domain round here.
    I saw one a couple of miles away over the summer where I had never seen one for the past 3 years of stalking and likewise one walked into the driveway this winter when it was really cold, there is a wood opposite.
    There are Fallow 3-4 miles away on the other side of the M5 though.
    The farmer in whose land I shoot said he had not seen deer on his land until 5 years ago.

Deer are generally spreading their ranges, roe and muntjac spread the fastest from existing populations and Ifor Williams has undoubtedly helped here and there, sika, reds and fallow being mostly herd animals seem to spread more slowly. You might see younger males pushed out now again but obviously until some females turn up they are not going to become established. As an example of this in my area there are about 1,000 fallow in the Elwy valley but very few more than a couple of miles outside that immediate area and what animals you do see tend to be young males.

A good place to look is the British Deer Society website where there are maps for each species showing the spread from 2000 to 2007 and some are very significant. Muntjac are moving north and west, roe are present on much of the UK mainland now, and they will soon fill in the gaps. Reds are spreading most rapidly in the Midlands/East Anglia and sika/fallow seem to be spreading least from established areas and often seem to take some time to go very much further afield.

The spread of deer is often slow in areas where fox/rabbit lampers are operating or near population centres where poaching is rife. we had a few roe turning up in 2007 but they seemed to have gone now and it is thought that lampers have had a lot to do with that.
    Last edited by paul k; 02-01-2011 at 12:24.

I have just had a look at these maps on the BDS web page. If accurate it shows a marked push North by Muntjac, which has been commented on here previously. As I have some stalking a matter of 5 miles or so from the Scottish/English border, with a bit of luck we may see their arrival in the next decade.

I dont know if they are but hope so as i know of fallow 10 miles or less away from my farm and have heard of muntjac about the same distance away. However I very much doubt fallow will be here anytime soon as I feel lampers would slow down what little progress they would make but I would love to see muntjac in the next 10 years or so. Heres hoping

I haven't seen any other species of deer around the area where I live, but I have noticed Roe numbers increasing steadily. I'm still waiting to see my first Muntjac. I have heard that they are in Lancashire but I have not had any confirmed sightings.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question.

There is talk of a red stag shot on FC ground just outside Hawick,the closest reds would over in D&G,so along way from home,forest of AE has been mentioned as where it came from not sure how this is known.......

Fallow deer near me don't seem to spread out they stick to high ground moor + large forestry woodland blocks plenty of good woodland lower down but they never seem interested plenty of Roe on low ground and on high ground occasional Red in the area but as usual when people see a new species about they get shot on sight so don't get established

In general most deer are increasing their range, all be it slowly in some instances, such as CWD which have a very slow pace of establishing themselves as a rule.

With any of the deer species the biggest problem they have in most of England is the expanding road system, housing and railway lines. These barriers stop many species expanding.

Malc I've read that the motorway system and railways bankings are actually spreading certain species of deer such as muntjac because these often tree lined routes are not disturbed by the public.
    No doubt deer are spreading to new areas but personally I am sceptical of some of the maps produced by the likes of the deer initiative because they rely upon information supplied. Often this information or dis-information comes from people with a sense of humour. I saw one map showing red deer in a village local to me where the last deer of any sort walked the earth at least 200 years ago, but there is still a pub called the Buck Inn and another named the White Hart.
    Last edited by 8x57; 02-01-2011 at 21:09.