Heym sr20 7-08

devonoak

Hi folks. I got my variation through, picked up a s/h Heym SR20 rebarrelled in 7-08 and have fitted a Meopta 7x50 scope. I've done some basic zeroing in but not quite there yet (ran out of time!) Got it on the paper though after a couple of shots. Compared to my .243 Remington the thing is a joy. Heavy with a t8 on the front but it's as it came so I'll keep to it for a bit. I'm planning to reload ( my grandfather always used to) but for now hoping to get some PRVI ammunition and see how that goes. Any tips - don't hesitate, I'd be grateful. Cheers Tom

Welcome to the club! Federal Fusion seems to be the most widely available factory ammunition, but you'll probably struggle to find a dealer who maintains good stock levels. I've just had some Barnes TTSX 120gn's custom loaded for me; accurate and do the job very well, but ridiculously expensive.

Heym SR20's are not bad rifles. I have a left hand one in 243 that clover leafs RWS ammo all day long. One day when the barrel is shot out may rebarrel to a bigger calibre. 7mm -08 is a really good round.

Heym SR20

Hi folks. I got my variation through, picked up a s/h Heym SR20 rebarrelled in 7-08 and have fitted a Meopta 7x50 scope. I've done some basic zeroing in but not quite there yet (ran out of time!) Got it on the paper though after a couple of shots. Compared to my .243 Remington the thing is a joy. Heavy with a t8 on the front but it's as it came so I'll keep to it for a bit. I'm planning to reload ( my grandfather always used to) but for now hoping to get some PRVI ammunition and see how that goes. Any tips - don't hesitate, I'd be grateful. Cheers Tom

And another welcome to the 7mm-08 club. Ammunition I've used is Federal Fusion 140gr (£26), Federal Hot-core 150gr SP (£26), Remington Core-Lokt 140gr PSP (£27), Hornady 139gr SST (£26.39) and in this order of preference (approximate prices and dependant on your gun shop). I've certainly not found a problem with supply and just order in advance, all the major importers stock 7mm-08 now as it seems to be getting more popular.

I have found the Fusion the best and most accurate and the Federal Hot-core 150gr SP are a close second and in fact being slower much kinder on the meat.

Excellent round which I'm sure you'll enjoy using - I find I leave my .243 behind a lot now!

And with the SR 20 you have plenty of action / magazine length to take it out to 7x64 if you want to shoot bigger bullets, but given you can get close to 3000 fps with 140g do you need to bother?

Congratulations, You have old, solid german rifle without any plastic parts, it's very hard to find new rifle at this same quality level.

DSCF0041.jpgDSCF0043.jpgDSCF0044.jpgDSCF0042.jpg

Ah ha! Managed to take and upload some photos for anyone who is interested. Feels like a rifle that should last my lifetime.

Back