Advice needed

Advice needed! , I am a novice stalker who only took up the sport in July last year after reading many of the posts on this forum.
I am 100% hooked and am keen to become more proficient at stalking and stalk more.
Starting from scratch, I have already taken my DSC level one and have a shiny new FAC with a 6.5 55 on the way.
So as most people who are reading this will have been in my shoes at some point in in the past, I thought I would ask how best to proceed from here?.
If you were in my shoes what would you do to become a better stalker and increase your opportunities to stalk without wasting time and money (I have a wife and kids who already waste my time and money!)
Any advice would be appreciated!!!

What i would do is a i would get my self comfortable with my rifle and find out what you can do with it (consistantly) Then i would get hold of as many chaps off here who take out guests and get out with them as much as possible.At this time of year you can get a three hour stalk for as little as 50 - 60 pounds. What you will learn on them stalks will stand you in good sted for your future stalking. Then after a good few deer then you can progress to do lev2 and get your own stalking to manage.;)

hi,

first of all happy new year and welcome.
the advice you require cannot be given as a set rule of how things will go for you.
we all have had different luck and meet different people as we go.
i would first of all say that keep an eye out for local lads to you try and meet up.
getting to know your neighbours is always a good start.
look also for let days to get your toes wet as they say
there is many decent chaps on here offering good days out close to you.
get involved in general conversations and if you have something to say, say it..
i wish you the best in 2011

frank

Presumably since you have a ticket you also have land where you can shoot?
Get yourself a mentor to show you the ropes and enjoy!

Hi,

What they said really, My one tip would be to ask questions and never be afraid to ask questions. Get yourself out there, its the best way to learn, watch closely what your guide does and you'll pick up everything you need to know.

Good luck for 2011,

Ads

Thanks a lot for the advice!
I would like to know where you can get Stalking for £50-£60 as I have been paying £120.00 for a mornings stalk, not that I have minded as I am learning the ropes and have really enjoyed just being out on the ground .
I am not interested in trophy heads, but more interested in a good sporting stalk, learning about deer biology, and being able to butcher, cook and eat what I shoot.

Thanks a lot for the advice!
I would like to know where you can get Stalking for £50-£60 as I have been paying £120.00 for a mornings stalk, not that I have minded as I am learning the ropes and have really enjoyed just being out on the ground .
I am not interested in trophy heads, but more interested in a good sporting stalk, learning about deer biology, and being able to butcher, cook and eat what I shoot.

Welcome to the site. First of all can I echo what some have already said, in that you contact local members to yourself. Secondly if you care to look under the stalking section on the SD site you will find a number of offers at £50 to £60 a stalk, including myself ;)

All the best

Sikamalc

the best advice to someone from someone who has been in your shoes is honesty, always be honest with your experience to other stalkers you may then be lucky as i was to hook up with a good old boy who will take you under there wing and show you the ropes.stalking is a very serious DRUG as addictive as any thing it has its high s and most diffently its lows and it always leaves me wanting more .i have learnt more from my mentor than any book ,cd , or course and continue to do so good luck with the addiction my names dug and i am a STALKAHOLIC

Rory Putman is very knowledgable but his books arnt exactly easy reading!

I must agree. Putman's books might be considered too academic by some but you don't half learn a lot from 'em!

However, the truth remains - "No pain, no gain!"

...it has its highs and most diffently its lows...

Excellent advice, norma! Enjoy the highs and learn from the lows but never let them get you down. You will make mistakes, you will question your actions and you will certainly wonder where your cash is going...but its worth it and at the end of the day I don't think I would have it any other way!

Last edited:
Hi Sausage maker.

To get better you really need to stalk more, at first accompanied, although I think you really learn to stalk once you get out on your own rather than following in some bodies foot steps, although they should teach you how to gralloch and all points of deer behavior.

Moving on to getting more stalking, this site is a great resource for people looking for it, but remember, a lot of people on here are just the same as you, either looking for stalking or more/cheaper stalking, at first generally stalking cost good money, the guys that have free/cheap stalking have been in the sport decades and have built up the right contacts and a good reputation in them years.

I think you need to keep all your options open, you may be lucky and pick up some farmland with deer or a syndicate place may come available, you will almost certainly have to be prepared to travel for your stalking. If you are really serious about your stalking you could do what I did and move house to be nearer a good deer stalking part of the country.;)

If I was you I would try and help any members out on here if you are in a position to do so, this is not necessarily just stalking related and I am sure it will be repaid may fold.

Time spent out with Malcolm would be money well spent.

Ask not was SD can do for me but want can I do for SD.

Please use smaller text; my ears are damaged enough from shooting rifles without you shouting at me.:lol:

Best of luck.

Tahr

Have a look at www.huntingexperiences.com. Ive been out with these guys a few times now and the lads that run it seem top blokes who organise stalking all over the UK. They run a trip to Suffolk on the munties & fallow for £80 per stalk, i went in nov and had a bloody good do!!:lol: Im sure one of the lads is based in Lancashire and the other in the Northeast so not too far away from yourself??!

What i would do is a i would get my self comfortable with my rifle and find out what you can do with it (consistantly) Then i would get hold of as many chaps off here who take out guests and get out with them as much as possible.At this time of year you can get a three hour stalk for as little as 50 - 60 pounds. What you will learn on them stalks will stand you in good sted for your future stalking. Then after a good few deer then you can progress to do lev2 and get your own stalking to manage.;)

+ 1

Again , phone lowther estate office get in touch with their stalker Gregor Cattanach , a top man . All the best

the 1st post on this thread by 6pointer has pretty much hit the nail on the head get out and learn your rifle then get on a couple of cheap stalks and learn how to gralloch and handell a carcase, you will learn how to physically stalk a deer by your own mistakes. if you have ground of your own you are also half way there aswell if not then try and have a gentle word with the land owners where you already shoot (taking it you already shoot shotgun or smaller rifles somwhere) and see how they would feel about you taking the odd deer and work from there

sir lamp alot makes a good point. You will learn more by your mistakes than you will from lots of accompanied stalks. Not saying accompanied stalks arent good, they teach a lot and are invaluable, but once you start stalking around on your own and cock it up as we all have done many times, you will learn what works and what doesnt.

Your in it for the right reasons anyways, thats a good start. Welcome.

Back