Well Me and Lee finally finished our Thetford highseat today. Well almost - it's now ready to use. It's 5m high, 3m off the ground. The cabin is 1.6m^2 at the floor. There's a bit of problem with the old reds at this patch and we decided a high seat right there is a must. The slots criss cross all over the place and it's hard to find an unmarked patch of dirt.
First we needed the timber - cut a few Sycamore sapplings. They have the same structural rating as radiata pine and didn't cost anything.
Ripped some down for cladding floor boards and bracing. David's giving Lee a hand and getting face full of sawdust. Nice sharp RSC chain made quick work.
To support the main floor beams - I used a half round support pegged in with two 32mm hazel dowels each. All main braces and beams are wired using a cobb and co hitch with HT fencing wire.
Up she goes with help from Lee's ute. We through a rope over a branch in the oak tree and pulled each side up separately. They way a bit
Finished today - about two days of construction after the prep work. Boards are nailed. So far the cost has been time and a few bags of nails.
We found a few 4x2 and 6" boards about to be burnt so put in a 360* movable bench system
Bit of firewood afterwoods too
Just needa roof now. So watch out reds...