A Thetford highseat

harrygrey382

Well Me and Lee finally finished our Thetford highseat today. Well almost - it's now ready to use. It's 5m high, 3m off the ground. The cabin is 1.6m^2 at the floor. There's a bit of problem with the old reds at this patch and we decided a high seat right there is a must. The slots criss cross all over the place and it's hard to find an unmarked patch of dirt.

First we needed the timber - cut a few Sycamore sapplings. They have the same structural rating as radiata pine and didn't cost anything.
Image0017.jpg

Ripped some down for cladding floor boards and bracing. David's giving Lee a hand and getting face full of sawdust. Nice sharp RSC chain made quick work.
Image0020.jpg

To support the main floor beams - I used a half round support pegged in with two 32mm hazel dowels each. All main braces and beams are wired using a cobb and co hitch with HT fencing wire.
Image0043.jpg

Up she goes with help from Lee's ute. We through a rope over a branch in the oak tree and pulled each side up separately. They way a bit ;)
Image0044.jpg

Finished today - about two days of construction after the prep work. Boards are nailed. So far the cost has been time and a few bags of nails.
P1000741.jpg

We found a few 4x2 and 6" boards about to be burnt so put in a 360* movable bench system
P1000742.jpg

Bit of firewood afterwoods too
P1000744.jpg

Just needa roof now. So watch out reds...

Harry your high seat looks a treat to me . I only hope you have errected it in the right position, as it looks heavy to move around . Let us know when you get first Red from it .

good luck Chill

That looks like it would be as nice as a stay in the plaza!!!

Nice work.

ATB

Rob
243Sako

the pics look good mate , lets hope the reds are about at the weekend mate !

im still trying to source a wood burner and a mini bar :D

Thanks a lot guys, yep I sure hope it works too! Was satisfying to build - love a good bit of chainsaw carpentry and wiring. Good work out free hand milling the boards with the 076 too ;)

No still looking for a roof - trying to think up a way of making one from materials I can scrounge. Maybe a fencing panel at a steep angle...

A few more pics of hoisting it up
thetford1.jpg

thetford2.jpg

thetford3.jpg

Harry, with a roof fitted that will be excellent, having just spent a few snowy mornings in my open highseats, I am thouroughly envious ;)

Simon

Thanks a lot guys, yep I sure hope it works too! Was satisfying to build - love a good bit of chainsaw carpentry and wiring. Good work out free hand milling the boards with the 076 too ;)

Did you use an "Alaskan" to do the milling? Thinking about getting one for my 395.

you will see it in all its glory on sat mate !

hinds are on the move in a big way !

cheers lee

Ours have been almost non existent, in fact for a while it looked as if all the deer had booked a holiday! Most unusual for our ground!:eek:

Ours have been almost non existent, in fact for a while it looked as if all the deer had booked a holiday! Most unusual for our ground!:eek:

well ive deliberately left my red ground quiet until the high seat was built , the reds have been hammered all around me since early december so ive just let them feel safe !

yeah monkey spanker told me they were being a little illusive !

well ive deliberately left my red ground quiet until the high seat was built , the reds have been hammered all around me since early december so ive just let them feel safe !

yeah monkey spanker told me they were being a little illusive !

Thats putting it mildly! Came away from there the other day and only had a couple of Munties for a lot of hard work!

Did you use an "Alaskan" to do the milling? Thinking about getting one for my 395.
would highly recommend one. I didn't use one this time - too much bother using it for such small logs, and they didn't need to be perfect. For other stuff they're great. 395 should be great up to about 30" I reckon. Here's the 076 mounted up to my homemade one with a 36". Had the 056 running a 30" before and it did pretty well even in dry oak. So 395 would cut it very well.
25072009233.jpg

CopyofDSC01936.jpg

Back to stalking - I sure hope they turn up after all our work... Although if only munties turn up it's their bad day

Last edited:
Back