My Story...

Hey Guys,

I have been shooting for years and just to emphasize the illogical nature of firearms law I just wanted to point this out.

I have been shooting since I was 14 (now 22) and have held a firearms license for three years. When I first applied I got a .22LR and .17 HMR no questions asked. I had over 1500 acres of land to shoot on and my current FAO had no problem with this. The head FAO however saw that I was a little inexperienced and fair enough clamped me with a restriction saying I had to do pest control accompanied. I got this removed when I applied for a .22-250 6 months later. At the time my FAO said that if I did my DSC1 then the restriction they put on for deer shooting would be removed as well and I would get an open license.

1 year after that I applied for a .243 so I could do my DSC1, and passed the DSC1 with flying colours. I then went to go and get the restriction removed and it turns out my FAO had changed... oh dear. He now said that my previous FAO hadn't been telling the truth and now I needed to get more "experience" whereas at the same time a mate of mine who was 40 at the time go his removed no problem (otherwise in the same situation). Now 6 months down the line I have now applied for another deer rifle (7mm-08) and have logged more than 30 outings (not that much I know but I am at University far away as well). I do believe that young people really suffer when it comes to FAO's and that they automatically assume that being young means that we do not know what we are doing.

By the way the reason for my FAO not removing the condition was because "Deer are tallerl than foxes and if you don't hit it square on with a .243 you could wing it and hit someone's house." But he was perfectly fine with me shooting a .22-250! even though I would be shooting from a highseat....

What do you guys think I can do?

I think this sort of thing is a fashon with police in general thinks BASC Firearms dept Should pick on one case and take it to court I have seen nothing in the law to support police making assumptions like this,must be someone who knows the LAWon this.

By the way the reason for my FAO not removing the condition was because "Deer are tallerl than foxes and if you don't hit it square on with a .243 you could wing it and hit someone's house."

If your quotation above is a true reflection of his knowledge of using sporting firearms in the field, then no wonder you've got problems with the numpty.

They're giving you the runaround and moving the goalposts - ask them, in writing, to remove the restrictive conditions or provide you with the reason(s) why not, again in writing. Also request details of any criteria they apply to applicants in your situation which you have to achieve to have any such restrictive conditions removed. As to one FAO saying that another FAO, 'hadn't been telling the truth' !!!! :rolleyes: Doesn't he realise that he's also making it all up as he goes along?

Join an organisation that will support you and are willing to intervene on your behalf - SACS appear to be a good option, BASC look to provide plenty of information, (via their website), but I don't hear much on this forum about their direct support of members with firearms issues. Also get everything to/from the police in writing/email and tell them you need it that way because you will be 'consulting with your Shooting Organisation' and taking the matter further. ;)

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Nicolai_450,

do you have a friend with an open ticket and the relivent qualifications who can write a letter to the police and stand as i witness to you experiance?

this should help you get an open ticket?

cheers
SS

Ask for all this to be put down in writting so you can take legal advise and watch the ristrictions be taken off , if they are not hand all the paper work to BASC and dont wait do it tomorrow . BE POLITE BUT FIRM TO THE POINT BUT NOT RUDE

do you have a friend with an open ticket and the relivent qualifications who can write a letter to the police and stand as i witness to you experiance?

I'll play Devil's Advocate here, but this type of 'referee/mentoring' deal has been brought up a number of times in different guises and just perpetuates such meaningless restrictive behaviour by police FLDs. Unless there is a national accepted or legal defininition of who is suitable to attest to another's suitability to safely use firearms it just continues the pointlessness of it all.

After all, it would be possible for an open FAC holder with DSC1 or maybe some other 'classroom' based qualification to have shot very little and have no real practical experience in the field - wouldn't it?

Thats the point in a nutshell... they don't recognise a "classroom qualification" yet they are willing to take a letter or recommendation for a recognised stalker as a better reference. The whole system needs to be revamped to recognise the difference between an actual qualification and training by another stalker.

I would do what 'trouble' wrote and write to the head of firearms licensing for your force.

At the same time ask for your forces policy WRT foxing rifles and deer rifles and when you receive that compare it with what has been said to you by the FEOs and write again if necessary.

The force policy WRT to foxing rifle and deer rifles vary from force to force and is arbitrary constructed to suit the licensing depts pension plans.

EG Avon and Somerset will issue authority to acquire a deer rifle if you satisfy one of the following.
1. Previous CF experience
2, DSC1
3. Mentoring

If the response from the head of licensing is no good then write to the chief constable.

Check your facts though and have a read of chapter 13 of the 2002 home office guide to the police on firearms, paragraphs 13.4, 13.6, and particularly 13.24

By the way the reason for my FAO not removing the condition was because "Deer are tallerl than foxes and if you don't hit it square on with a .243 you could wing it and hit someone's house."

Ask for this part in writing and then get it framed
That is priceless and should be in your hall of fame for ever

How did you stop yourself from laughing :D

That's the trouble with speaking to FEO's. I've started to communicate by e-mail so that I have a permanent record of everything that's said.... they tend to think twice about coming out with statements like that.

How did you stop yourself from laughing :D

That's the trouble with speaking to FEO's. I've started to communicate by e-mail so that I have a permanent record of everything that's said.... they tend to think twice about coming out with statements like that.

I agree with what has been said already.

However, when one asks for an FLo to put something in writing they can flatly refuse.

Now when or if this happens, this is the time to follow the Police Complaints procedure and lodge a formal complaint.

I speak from personal experience and this approach won the case with the head of the licensing department offering an apology and reinstating conditions as previously had been held or in your case granting a condition without unfounded descrimination.

The Police complaints procedure is taken very very seriously within the Police Force. This prevents the need to go legal which would be an absolute last resort and actually yields results in a much quicker timescale.

Fight this Nicolai. If you do not they only feel they can make up rules as they go along and enforce them on any Tom Dick or Harry.

If you need help PM me and I will do all I can to offer any assistance I can (speaking from direct experience of this kind of issue).

Yet again this is a prime example of the inconsitencies which are only too aparent with alot of licensing authorities within the UK. Rediculous!

Last edited:
Back