The things you see

Harry mac

Went out this morning to see if I could connect with a muntjac or a roe doe. I managed to grass a munty doe quite quickly, which was followed by a very tense 10 minutes as I waited with the rifle on sticks, firstly for the roe deer in front of me to reveal whether it was a buck or a doe; and then once she'd obliged in that respect for her to present a shot. That was not to be though and she wandered off unscathed.
About an hour later I was stalking down a track when I stopped to have a scan round. I saw a patch of fur in amongst the branches. As I looked it quickly became apparent I wasn't looking at a roe. The deer lifted it's head to reveal itself as a good sized red stag. We both stood there looking at each other for more than long enough for me to have got a shot off, before he walked calmly away with a look of contempt, almost as if he knew damn well that my permission on this ground specifically excludes reds. Just to add insult to injury, as he moved off two more stags materialised from the trees and followed him. Ooooh, my trigger finger was itching!

I had a similar experiance a few months back.................Im sitting with my back up against a tree waiting for a buck to appear..........I see movement in the ferns around 60 yards away...........oh ho, the buck im thinking, but no what pops out but a cracking mature hind. As im watching the hind through the bino'z she jumps 4 feet in the air as if she has been spanked on the arse with a slipper. Out of the ferns comes Mr Stag having just butted her on the flank with his switch antlers. Thinking that things can't get any better a second stag then appears in the clearing thrashing around in the brush. In the excitment im trying to size up what ones going to get it...............I decide the switch has butted his last hind and I settle my Howa .223 down onto the bipod...............Yes you read correctly my Howa .223..........................At this moment I feel as if someone has kicked me in the balls........I have an ache in my guts, I'm looking around me for a solution to a problem that I know can't be solved.............As I was looking through the scope im sure the switch smiled as it walked back into the trees..............The Howa was sold soon after to Finnbear and a 25-06 bought in its place. I shall not make that mistake again. I drove home that night laughing to myself...................or was it crying to myself !!!

I had a similar experiance a few months back.................Im sitting with my back up against a tree waiting for a buck to appear..........I see movement in the ferns around 60 yards away...........oh ho, the buck im thinking, but no what pops out but a cracking mature hind. As im watching the hind through the bino'z she jumps 4 feet in the air as if she has been spanked on the arse with a slipper. Out of the ferns comes Mr Stag having just butted her on the flank with his switch antlers. Thinking that things can't get any better a second stag then appears in the clearing thrashing around in the brush. In the excitment im trying to size up what ones going to get it...............I decide the switch has butted his last hind and I settle my Howa .223 down onto the bipod...............Yes you read correctly my Howa .223..........................At this moment I feel as if someone has kicked me in the balls........I have an ache in my guts, I'm looking around me for a solution to a problem that I know can't be solved.............As I was looking through the scope im sure the switch smiled as it walked back into the trees..............The Howa was sold soon after to Finnbear and a 25-06 bought in its place. I shall not make that mistake again. I drove home that night laughing to myself...................or was it crying to myself !!!

Just goes to prove you can never have to much gun but you can certainly have to little,i'd of been crying if it happened to me.:cry:

Back