reduced loads for 7mm 08

smudge262

hi guys
was just wondering if anyone on here had tried any reduced loads through a 7mm 08 for the smaller species of deer. my feo has asked me for my intended load before allowing me to use a 7mm 08 on my roe ground
atb
smudge

Ahh, That sounds like Fife firearms licensing!

Make sure the info you do give them is deer legal.

Having had a look on the Hodgdons website, I seem to recall H4895 is a powder you can reduce., however, please confirm this with other site members, as I have been running my loads full fat, as it makes no difference to roe!

I would tell him to get knotted.

It is an irrelevant question and not mandatory for you to provide such information whatsoever. They are making up the rules themsleves (yet again).

Contest it and if you come up against resistance, then inform them you are going to lodge a formal complaint via the official grievance procedure if they do not grant authority to posess by return.

What a load of complete BS!

Last edited:
im with jon2. Whos he to decide what is suitable and unsuitable for deer. A 7mm08 round loaded hot will kill just as well loaded slow. I would be speaking to BASC. Unless people stand up to these stupid requests, they will continue to invent stupid rules. Its our tax money that is paying them, lets make sure theyre doing an efficient job following the LAW not some idiot.

i went in to the office today to see them and got chatting to another feo who told me that i would not get a 7mm on my ground as it had a much higher velocity than my 243 and reducing loads was dangereous as if you go to far the bullet could jam in the barrel !! i didnt say anything i just walked out !!!

And people are always "amazed" that Americans object so vigorously to "gun control" laws...

It isn't because we have no regard for safety, it's because we KNOW from whence tyranny derives - petty, ignorant, small-minded, little tyrants.

Regards,
Paul

i went in to the office today to see them and got chatting to another feo who told me that i would not get a 7mm on my ground as it had a much higher velocity than my 243 and reducing loads was dangereous as if you go to far the bullet could jam in the barrel !! i didnt say anything i just walked out !!!

Demand their refusal in writing. It always amazes me that these idiots can even function in a modern world with their lack of intelligence :rolleyes:.

Ask him how a reduced load will change your choice of a safe backstop and what the effects of decreasing velocity are on the post impact frangible properties of a bullet. Then ask him is that is fact or his opinion and also has he read the guidance because it's there to stop people making sh1t up like that.

He might get upset but you'll feel great.

may i add that the female feo i spoke with today recently asked a local gunshop to dispose of a .22 magazine for her ! when she arrived at the shop she handed over a 243 magazine (which apparently clearly stared 243 brno on it ) ! the gunshop owner told her it was a 243 and she argued !! she knew what she was talking about

paul
the way i look at it ! it doesnt matter if its a 222 or a 50 cal if theres a proper back stop its safe !!

Don't say though..... 'have you not read the guidance, it clearly says in 13.35 that larger calibres like .375 once good reason has been established are suitable for the large species of deer.... what don't you understand?'

:banghead:

ps smudge, yeh that's my point about a 'safe' backstop exactly

Last edited:
may i add that the female feo i spoke with today recently asked a local gunshop to dispose of a .22 magazine for her ! when she arrived at the shop she handed over a 243 magazine (which apparently clearly stared 243 brno on it ) ! the gunshop owner told her it was a 243 and she argued !! she knew what she was talking about

If only that was true :rolleyes:.

Oh and since when has a magazine become a pressure bearing componant? and therefore licencable?

Where the heck do they get these numpties :oops:.

Hodgdon's 4895 is the best choice for reduced loads. You can load to 3/5 of maximum for any listed load.

Paul is right. Americans fight tooth and nail against any purchase the anti-gun, or government, may get on our gun rights. Some say we don't have enough laws, but the alternative is unacceptable to us. We still believe in personal rights backed by personal responsibility.~Muir

Fight this clown! Cleary from another planet! A bit like the you can have a .308 for deer but not fox argument. If I can make the call about a safe shot with it on deer then what's the difference with a fox?

A bit like the you can have a .308 for deer but not fox argument. If I can make the call about a safe shot with it on deer then what's the difference with a fox?

Because it would; a) "blow a fox apart" and; b) "be overkill". :D

(Both statements made to me by my FEO who later candidly admitted to me she knew nothing about the use of sporting firearms!)

My replies were; a) I don't have a recipe for fox, so wouldn't be particularly worried about the state of it. b) How much deader than dead can it be?

Both answers were met with incomprehension on her part and thereafter the subject avoided. :doh:

Luckily someone in 'the office' had their loaf screwed on and I now have a fully open ticket on all calibres - the decision is mine as to which rifle might be legal or suitable for any particular quarry, (D&C)

Last edited:
I had a heated discussion a few years back at renewal time about shooting fox and roe with my .308 that went along the lines of...

feo
'.30 cal is too big for fox and roe deer'
me
'rubbish'

I kept the .308 and got a .223 but still shot most of my charlies with the 30 lamping after stalking but they made me jump through hoops with permissions and letters from estate stakers. I honestly think you have to say the right things and not let them put you in a corner. Being well informed is the key.

In fairness, my FEO got the job last year because she was given the option of redundancy or pick a job she likes the look of off a list! But in her defence, she doesnt think she knows it all and will sit and listen to explanations about rifles and ballistics. She seems practically minded and helpful. I know by saying this, next time i want something, shes not going to be helpful! Sods law!

Even more reason to weed out these idiots who are in places of responsibility!!

problem with the feo i dealt with the other day is she has no idea but thinks she knows all !! she is well know to everybody including basc ! i think people should say i dont know instead of ********ting then trying to cover there mistakes ! you would give them half a chance

I wish they were my licensing authority.

I would take them to the cleaners.

What a rediculous carry on.

Back