Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticks

When out stalking I mostly use a bipod for prone and sitting shots I have never taken a standing shot, recently I have acquired some tripod sticks as I need to practice for the DSC level 1 the problem I have is keeping the rifle steady enough for a shot on the practice target, my first shot was spot on but the others seem to end up on the edge of the 4 inch target.
    Has anyone got any tips they could share in this field

Chuck the tripod away.
    I used pair of sticks for clients and always told them to hold the sticks and lean them back into you, so you form a tripod with the sticks and your body.
    The probs I used to see with tripods is that the actual tripod sticks are steady, but when the person holds them they always seem to wander as the body and sticks never seem to stand steady together.
    Just a personal observation but the pairs of sticks always seem to work best IMO.

Hi Lady.
    Unless things have changed you will be shooting off your sticks at 40 yards or is it 40 metres now ?
    This will be at the Roebuck target again if there is no change .
    In the old days [1984] when I did my NSCC the shots counted up to and including the 5 ring, this giving a horizontal target of about 8x7 inches.
    Remember as you get nearer the target your shots go lower. Make sure you are zeroed in to the centre of the grouping target at 100 yards or is it metres now ?
    JDM is probably correct about 2 sticks. I have shot with both 2 and 3 on scores of occasions. When I used 2 , I placed my glove on top of the sticks and laid the sling on top with rifle on it then grasped the sling and sticks together and pulled the sticks towards me pushing the rifle forward. This makes a strong tripod lock-up, a technique which won me high places at stalkers shoots.

I use a single hazel stick about 6'6" long. When i get a shot i set my feet in the normal way for a freehand shot. I hold my stick in my left hand (foreend hand) quite a long way down the foreend. then i get my breating so it is slowly going out. holding the stick and rifle in my left hand i don't try to hold the rifle still i very slowly lower the rifle running the verticle crosshair through the point of aim until the cross is on then pause for just a second and take the shot.

If you over deliberate off a stick you will wobble all over.

I always try to keep the trigger pulled and follow through on the shot - but i only seem to be able to do this on targets not on live game.

Like many on the site I have used single, double and treble sticks. I think a great deal of which if any you use, depends on where and what you are stalking.
    I have always used a single stick on the hill for Reds. It is a good aid for walking, support for the spotting scope when glassing or using binoculars to glass at distance, and I have used it a number of times as support when shooting kneeling down. However a bipod can also be useful, which I use to a considerable extent on hind culling.

Where the double and treble sticks come into their own is in woodland stalking. It is very true that a good pair of double sticks can be used, and is the general ideal for many. Africa they are common place, normally held together with a piece of inner tube, or leather thong.

The treble sticks I use a good deal when taking clients out. I find they are very good when standing and waiting, although they do have disadvantages in that they can be rather cumbersome when trying to set them up in a hurry, whilst a double set of sticks is easier. They also tend to loose bits, like the rubber feet, and the occasional screw so the leg falls off. They are also a bit expensive for what they are, and can be a bit difficult to pull the legs into place after you have had them for a couple of seasons. However a squirt of silicone usually does the trick.

What I have noticed with some clients when they use them is that they hold their hand over the barrel near the fore end, and if it a free floating barrel it will make a difference to the shot placement.

In general I quite like the treble sticks and doubles, as you can bet your bottom dollar there is never a convieniant tree and branch to shoot from when you are woodland stalking.

Carl Gustaf
    I'm with Malcolm with this one, I used a tripod once and it was like making love to an Octopus! I now use a couple of plastic green bean sticks which they will suggest on your DSC1 course. To secure them I use a piece of leather and to stop them 'clanking' as I stalk I wrap a bit of snipers burlap around them it also helps to break up the outline. I have seen many stalkers making the mistake of resting the rifle directly onto the sticks. Grasping the fore end of the rifle as you would normally do to shoot, then resting your hand/wrist in the 'V' of the sticks will give you a better support and shot placement. Hello Ladystalker bye the way!

I always use double sticks, and as I mainly do woodland stalking I do not have a lot of use for bipods. I have never been able to hold perfectly still off of sticks, but what I find is that there is a rythmn about the movement, this is the key for me. The trick is to shoot when the rythmn has you over the target. I always put the fore end in the X of the sticks, hold both the sticks and the fore end, get my breathing settled, exhale, hold and fire when ready, works for me. It's just my way of doing it.

I always use two 6ft Hazel sticks with a piece of tyre tubing holding them together about a foot from the top and an 8ft length of 1/2" rope with a loop on each end.
    When stalking, the two loops are over the top of the sticks but when I approach an area I suspect or expect to see an animal I drop one loop and trail it. When I see an animal, I tread on the trailing rope, brace the two sticks in front of me and lean in to them. That, I find, gives me the stiffest tri-pod you can imagine and when the animal is taken the rope can be used to hoist the carcass from the ground, assisting gralloching or used to drag the animal off the hill or used to hang the animal to drain.
    Spare ropes can be carried quite easily if you expect more than one animal.
    You will notice I said Hazel sticks, I can't stand these green plastic coated sticks from garden centres that folk from the latest DSC courses seem to be turning up with. Just my two penneth, each to his own.

Carl Gustaf
    Hi EmcC,
    Any chance of a photo of your sticks in use, sounds a good idea! I would like to learn abit more about this method.
    Thanks Carl.

Unfortunately Carl I am not computor literate so am unable to post a picture here, sorry.
    I am sure Hazel sticks are more or less the same anywhere in UK, just make sure they are tall enough to have the 'V' in front of you at the right height when they are splayed. The rope is used as a third leg and by standing on it with your left foot slightly behind you gives you a rigid Tripod and no matter how hard you lean forward it will not move unless you allow it by lifting your foot.