1st Day Out 2011

jamross65

View attachment 4131View attachment 4132View attachment 4133

Because of weather and work, this afternoon has been the first I have managed out for a look, albeit only an hour or so.

In this time I counted 21 Roe. Managed 2 stalks and never got a shot! the first one was prevented because of the skyline and the second ended when they moved off through the trees and would not stop to offer a shot.

Anyway, the real upside of all this is that despite the weather we have had in the Scottish Borders the deer I saw all looked in really good condition. The light covering of snow in the pictures is nothing compared to what we have had and currently it is up about -2. We had -16 a few weeks ago and a deep snow covering for almost 3 weeks.

Out of those 21 at least 3 does had twins with them. The others were too far away or in a group that made it difficult to tell what was what. The coats looked in superb thick condition with real width across their rumps. All were feeding on what food was poking through and generally behaviour was normal. A young buck I was close to showed no early signs of frost damage to the little growth that was there in his antlers, but I suppose the real picture wont emerge until clean.

All in all a heartening afternoon. :D

a nice outing to start the year off, nice looking ground in the pics. looking like a good year on there coming up for you :cool: lets hope the weather goes steady for a while.

Hope you do well next time the deer in my area while still very heavy have lost there kidney fat this is the 4th doe in the new year and a real nice beast at 36 lb with out fat best of luck tomorow Limulus and i am sure you will connect very soon with that many about Jamros.
8-1-2011012.jpg

Must admit to liking the snow for stalking but it is paying havock with work :rolleyes:

periurbandeer2.jpg

Hows it gan Jamrose. I shot a young deer the other night in very poor condition. No meat on it whatsoever just skin and bone - poor thing. I think the conditions on the hill were just too harsh for them so ive been round putting crushed barley out round the roads just to give them something to nibble on. whether its the right thing to do or not - but it makes me feel a bit better - hehe

Hows it gan Jamrose. I shot a young deer the other night in very poor condition. No meat on it whatsoever just skin and bone - poor thing. I think the conditions on the hill were just too harsh for them so ive been round putting crushed barley out round the roads just to give them something to nibble on. whether its the right thing to do or not - but it makes me feel a bit better - hehe

Know what you mean. We used to empty bags of turnips out in the forestry for the Sika but they seemed to prefer stripping off the bark!

Back