Swarovski Range finder

Paul 600

Hi, anyone got one and are they any good? Thinking about getting a set as I don't want to carry around a set of bins and a range finder. I currently use SLC 7X42 which are excellent.

I had one a couple of years ago, rated it very highly to be honest but I PX'd it for a syndicate place as I had a set of Bins also. To be honest, I'd stick with the binos, rangefinding comes with practice.

Easiest way is to measure 100m, then pace it, I am 108 steps on flat ground, practice this when out walking anywhere. Look at a fixed point, (that's not 20m away, but upto what you think is about 250m), then pace it, after a relatively short time, you should get good at it and be generally within 20m, which for stalking will be more than accurate enough. Another method is to "Bracket", knowing that it's more than 70m but not as far as 100m, estimated 85m then, or, it's more than 120m but not 150m, estimated 135m, again, for stalking, more than accurate enough you can practice this and then pace to confirm.

TJ

I use them exclusively, but they are definitely a compromise.

The 8x30 single tube fails in low light well before decent 8x42 bin's or a 50mm scope.

I am pretty much blind (not completely) in the left eye, if both worked, I would have the bin's. They are light, and work reasonable well, but I am thinking of buying the bins anyway for the bigger lens.

I had one a couple of years ago, rated it very highly to be honest but I PX'd it for a syndicate place as I had a set of Bins also. To be honest, I'd stick with the binos, rangefinding comes with practice.

Easiest way is to measure 100m, then pace it, I am 108 steps on flat ground, practice this when out walking anywhere. Look at a fixed point, (that's not 20m away, but upto what you think is about 250m), then pace it, after a relatively short time, you should get good at it and be generally within 20m, which for stalking will be more than accurate enough. Another method is to "Bracket", knowing that it's more than 70m but not as far as 100m, estimated 85m then, or, it's more than 120m but not 150m, estimated 135m, again, for stalking, more than accurate enough you can practice this and then pace to confirm.

TJ

You missed the "squad average" method!;)

There is a large barn across the fields from the back of my house. It just happens to be 600 yards exactly from one point in the middle of the garden. If I range the barn with the swaro and get it exactly 600yards, I can take two large steps towards the barn, ping it again and get 598 yards.

That is a +/- 1% margin of error at 600yards. Pretty accurate I think.

I've had some for 18months. No hesitation recommending them, optics are excellent, I do use them instead of bins and don't feel I need anything more unless in the highlands where a bit more magnification is nice. They will range to 1999yds in ideal conditions, over 1000yds routinely.

Very impressed with mine , not that i have had any other make as i have had no need to change, i quite often take them in the mornings as opposed to both bins and rangefinder as the light will only get better,
As for them failing MUCH earlier well, i use swarovski 8.5 x 42 el's and there is not much in it between them really, basically if they are starting to "fail" and you need to range "it" then go home instead:). The only down side is that they are a bit bigger than the leica's.

I have tried a few rangefinders over the years from Bushnell "Yardage Pro", Leupold, and some others. I have to say that there is precious little between any of them in accuracy, but there is in build quality. Many of the facilities in the more expensive models seem to me to be surplus to requiremants. All I need is something to tell me the range

Wouldn't you be better off with a set of rangefinding bins, rather than a rangefinding monocular? I would look at the Leica Geovid HDs if I wanted an all-in-one unit. Otherwise the little Leica rangemaster is a handy little unit that tucks away in a jacket pocket while you have your bins slung round your neck.

Back