ultrasonic cleaner?

Offroad Gary

i'm considering purchasing an ultrasonic cleaner, can anyone point me in the right direction of a suitable unit for cleaning cases.

looked on ebay/google but there are so many?? :confused:

dont want to go to cheap, dont want to pay too much.

cheers in advance

I shall also appreciate any input, and additionally I d like to be able 'nuke' the guts of my moderator on occasion to get the crud off the baffles.

ATB

ultrsonic cleaner

bucksden, Tikka 260,
Where I used to work we had a top of the range Ultrasonic cleaner. I wanted to see if it would clean up spent cases. I ran it using Meths, Acetone and Trichloroethane, all without success. I bought a tumbler.

Tikka 260 said:
I shall also appreciate any input, and additionally I d like to be able 'nuke' the guts of my moderator on occasion to get the crud off the baffles.

ATB

Get a Wildcat Predator, the dogs...

One for Auction on the March and Shoot Auction Thread, no current bids, you may get lucky.

:D

TJ

Techman

Try dilute citric acid solution and a few drops of washing up liquid... works a treat ! Citric acid crystals from any home brew store, 1 x tbsp to a litre of water.

IMHO tumbling doesent get the insides of the cases and the primer holes clean enough for me. Perhaps I am too picky about it!

TJ

I use an A-Tec, fully strippable as well, I just like to know that it is clean, and UT is recommended by the Importers.

ATB

No "Moderator Wars" pleeeeese.

bucksden said:
cleaner arrived with some free solution,

http://www.jamesproducts.co.uk/seaclean_datasheet.pdf

one for all the metallurgists out there, will this damage cases? :confused:

Whilst the data sheet does not give the ingredients, it looks as tho' they are detergents. Detergents will not damage brass.
It's stuff like strong acids or alkalis like Ammonia which cause damage. For anyone who is looking for nice, shiny cases - DON'T use Brasso!.
I have found dilute vinegar to be as good as anything in my ultrasonic unit. As recommended above, a dilute solution of Citric acid will also be effective although I've not tried it.
Peter

the product didnt do a thing, either on the brass or my watch!!

red wine vinegar on brass, fairy liquid on the watch, did the trick.

cleaned 12 cases yesterday - warm water, glug of vinegar, squirt of fairy, 480 seconds of ultrasound.

cleaner now wont work :evil: :evil: :evil:

That's funnier :lol: than your last post. Sorry Buddie. ;)

THROW IT AWAY!!

Do what I'm doing, get a case tumbler at the CLA!!

I still get by holding wire wool against the case as it turns in my Lee zip trimmer. Never tried an ultrasonic cleaner, sold my tumbler a few years back. Lazy bugger that I am couldn't be bothered with it, this way I find quicker and I inspect all the cases at the same time.

John

Just did 300 22-250 cases in 10 min, clean as a whistle. Our company ultrasonic cleaner runs at 80 centigrade with a solvent called Tickopur TR13. All good except a slight purple tinge to some cases. I much prefer that now than grinding out the primer pockets. At least the ultrasonic doesn't remove any brass. A tumbler exerts umpteen times the energy to the outside of the cases compared to the inside where the carbon is deposited.

edi

Go to the liquidated stock auctions. I got an industrial one, about A4 size in length and height which also heats the solution. Bought for £10

Been using it for 4yrs now and wouldn't use anything else. My solution is 1 litre of water, 2 tablespoons of citric acid crystals and a splash of fairy liquid. Mix thoughly by activating cleaner for a few minutes and then drop cases in.
They take only a couple of mins but remember to flush with clean water afterwards to neutalise the acid.

Back