which is best airline

65X55

following on from the wolf and lynx post i may now go to canada instead , so guys which is best airline ,
i have only flown 3 times before so never been across the atlantic with or with out rifles

6.5x55

If taking guns as hand luggage you may be limited, continental allow you to, well did last sept, air canada is the worst I have flown with, the rest you get what you pay for.

The one with the best price, you pay for what you get these days!

I would get a idea of price off of the internet then give the price to the travel agent and see if they can match it or come close. Better for them to arrange it all for you, easier if anything goes wrong!

6.5x55,

You really do need to know which airline is operating the flight, not just who you get your booking from. Get everything in writing, not just book online for the cheapest price.

Legacy airlines tend to be OK with firearms, charter tend to be "fluffy" and can then change their mind as they move you from carrier to carrier.

Stan

If you need to fly internal prior to catching an Atlantic flight avoid Ryanair like the plague.................I fly with them twice a week and they are a shower of ****.............I would rather swim the Atlantic coverered in lard and dripping before using them for any part of my travel plan.

Not much help I'm afraid but I've flown to and from Canada quite a few times (I used to live there) and have flown with Air Canada, BA, Air Transat and Zoom. Each time was a different experience so it appears very much to depend on who is on check-in. One word of advice, don't wait in the queue to check-in, tell one of the check-in staff that you are flying with firearms, sometimes you'll get breezed through like a VIP, if not - at least you'll have the time to jump through all the hoops. Waiting for a police officer to check the serial numbers of my weapons on the last flight from Toronto certainly had me sweating, we had to run all the way to the plane and were the last ones to board, you can imagine the understanding looks (not!) that we got from the other passengers as we made our way through the cabin!

Only flown with firearms for the one trip back in 2003 and I booked the flights through Expedia. I flew transatlantic with Delta from Gatwick and I checked with Delta's desk at North terminal before flying. Good job I did as they didn't know the procedure. Once we got it sorted on the morning of the flight it went smoothly and my check in was faster than other peoples.

From working at Gatwick in the past and have friends who worked for BA that would be the last airline I would choose to fly with. At one time there was a clique who would deliberately damage firearms being carried by BA and BA didn't give two hoots until that is those morons opened up and stomped on a new H&H double rifle. The damage was found when it was opened for customs inspection is SA. The owner of course complained and BA's attitude was OH Ok we will get it patched up locally. NO way that rifle is only going to be repaired By the maker and he had the money to force the issue.

After that BA were a bit careful but trust them ........................ never!

Oh that little tit-bit came from BA's commercial manager at Gatwick. They tried to shaft him too with the management change about 6 years ago.

For short haul flights around Europe Easyjet is the best low cost option. Ryanair (scum) Jet2 etc won't carry firearms.

I have not carried guns long haul, but the national flag carriers seem to be the best - BA etc. I have flown Czech Airlines - nightmare, Lufthansa and Aer Lingus - brilliant.

I have heard bad reports of Virgin.

I found Virgin to be very relaxed and efficient where firearms were concerned - it was very quick and hassle free at Heathrow, despite five guys checking in multiple guns at the same time.

Whomever you fly with, make sure you read the small print first and pack your guns, bolts and ammo the way they want it. Oh, make sure you are using a decent flight case - the baggage handler make no concession for your precious rifle and batter it like all the other luggage - my buddy's aluminium case was dented to hell and back :eek:

I found Virgin to be very relaxed and efficient where firearms were concerned - it was very quick and hassle free at Heathrow, despite five guys checking in multiple guns at the same time.

Whomever you fly with, make sure you read the small print first and pack your guns, bolts and ammo the way they want it. Oh, make sure you are using a decent flight case - the baggage handler make no concession for your precious rifle and batter it like all the other luggage - my buddy's aluminium case was dented to hell and back :eek:

Ahhh the universal Baggage Ape :rolleyes: I watched the loading of the luggage onto the Regional Jet in the US and saw several cases fall off the conveyor form a height. My New Napier alloy and composite case brought for that trip bears the scars of the Apes.

BA are making a charge of £50 per leg. So if you have to fly to Heathrow before getting your flight to Canada, that's going to sting you by £200 for a start! Some of my clients booking trips to South Africa with me in the past month or so have found that Virgin are NOT charging extra. So even if Virgin flights may be a little more than BA , the overall cost may be less. You need to do some careful checking before booking !
Virgin have a sale on right now

Brithunter,

That is the purpose of luggage, to take the knocks and damage in order to protect the contents :)

If you look at the modern sorting systems at Heathrow T5 and Schiphol you will find the luggage travelling at 60 MPH. Deceleration is abrupt!

Stan

Brithunter,

That is the purpose of luggage, to take the knocks and damage in order to protect the contents :)

If you look at the modern sorting systems at Heathrow T5 and Schiphol you will find the luggage travelling at 60 MPH. Deceleration is abrupt!

Stan

Ahh sounds like it's designed to effect maximum damage :cuckoo: I wonder if the case manufactures had a hand in it so they can sell replacements quicker?

I didn't get to travel by air much but I would rather pay more than go through Thiefrow. As I said I will also avoid BA like the plague.

If taking guns as hand luggage you may be limited, continental allow you to, well did last sept, air canada is the worst I have flown with, the rest you get what you pay for.
Sorry mean,t hold luggage, some carriers are making you book guns as cargo

Back