First look around the shoot this year.

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
Well met Ian at 8p.m. and we were straight off.
We looked around a real hot spot, just a roes eyes came back,
e30776.gif

So off we went.
Getting to a never fail where I had seen 1 on sunday morning we saw nothing so we parked up and got the distressed fawn call going on the Mp3.
About 5 minutes later a fox had arrived but was sat on the skyline.
e30765.gif

He sat there for 3-4 minutes then decided it wasn't for him he started to walk to the left and came off the brow.
I said to Scraggie to light him up and my Sako coughed It went down @200m's.
We went to move him and he was another big un about 19-20lb i reckon.
So on we went, the quarry was locked so now on foot we walked in and stood under a high seat.
The caller produced another fox but he wasn't impressed and made off back over the boundry.
e30765.gif

Another walk produced nothing though we saw plenty of rabbits.
e30788.gif

So we were going back over ground we had seen already now and apart from more roe Nothing.
Then driving back we called back to the hot spot were the deer were earlier.
A fox but already moving so the caller was employed.
It grabbed his attention but he wouldn't come.
Then Scraggie picked another one coming out of a garden back in the village.
NO backstop but he kept coming closer and closer, then at 70m's and down wind he bolted and ran I followed the now safe to shoot fox but he never stopped. He went and joined his mate so we came away, they can wait for another night.
One port of call left now but its scored 2 in 2 outings so we shone around till we got to the parking place.
Nothing looked.
The fawn was employed and within 5 minutes I nearly jumped out of my seat a fox had come from my blind side and was within 80m's
e30722.gif

He bolted and I shot at him trotting away... A miss I couldn't believe it I was sure.
So now he was running he cleared the field we were in and got accross the next to only look back, I had reloaded and was ready, I put the Z7 ladder reticule on him at the 375 marker and fired, Down he went.
"Christ" Ian said "I though he'd done us".
What capped me was it was a 50gr privvi factory round.
They are cheaper than I can handload.
e30831.gif

I will still handload but they are a great reserve round for when i'm to busy to get some loaded.
e30782.gif

Last edited:
Nice one John. Take it that was with the 22.250? Ill bring the Foxpro up in February for you to have a look at, see what you think. You can still get the same result (i.e fox comes to have a look but doesn’t like the sound as it gets closer) but the good thing is the other 23 calls. We have had them come towards the caller, decide its not for them and then walk away across open field, have tried 2 more calls which often make them stop and look back but then hit another call and they come bolting to the caller. Good to see their response whn we use the fox mating or fox territory calls too.

Nice one John. Take it that was with the 22.250? Ill bring the Foxpro up in February for you to have a look at, see what you think. You can still get the same result (i.e fox comes to have a look but doesn’t like the sound as it gets closer) but the good thing is the other 23 calls. We have had them come towards the caller, decide its not for them and then walk away across open field, have tried 2 more calls which often make them stop and look back but then hit another call and they come bolting to the caller. Good to see their response whn we use the fox mating or fox territory calls too.
I can hold upto 1,000 calls on mine I think depending on how big.
I have 6 that i like.
And yes the 22250

I can hold upto 1,000 calls on mine I think depending on how big.
I have 6 that i like.
And yes the 22250
Forgot your using an MP3. Im like you, out of the calls I have on the caller I mainly use 5 of them that ive seen a fox turn and come running to. If you want them Ill email them to you (I think most are in mp3 format).

Nice result....Out of interest what MP3 do you guys use?

As an aside Ive started weighing all foxes this year....Will be a while before I have sufficient data to make any comparisons but Im looking at urban v rural fox weights, the big dog fox weighing in at 26lbs reported in the news a few weeks ago got me thinking as I had some big foxes before christmas from Reading back gardens and I wonder how the two compare.

Of course sods law Ive only had 2 vixens in Reading this year so far, one at 11lb 13oz and one at 14lb 8oz....still getting the vixens means at least some element of population control.

All Urban foxs are cage trapped (pest controller by the way) and then have a short sharp meeting with a .22

Nice result....Out of interest what MP3 do you guys use?

As an aside Ive started weighing all foxes this year....Will be a while before I have sufficient data to make any comparisons but Im looking at urban v rural fox weights, the big dog fox weighing in at 26lbs reported in the news a few weeks ago got me thinking as I had some big foxes before christmas from Reading back gardens and I wonder how the two compare.

Of course sods law Ive only had 2 vixens in Reading this year so far, one at 11lb 13oz and one at 14lb 8oz....still getting the vixens means at least some element of population control.

All Urban foxs are cage trapped (pest controller by the way) and then have a short sharp meeting with a .22

Im using a foxpro Spitfire. Does the same thing escept you can put it out upto around 200 yards(I normally set it 100 yards in a safe spot) if you wish which is very useful.

Back