Sausages still too dry...

Dan Gliballs

I bought myself a new sausage stuffer for xmas and what a piece of kit!

I knocked up 13lbs of bangers last night but they are too dry, my last batch were also too dry so I increased the fat content in this batch but it still isnt enough!

10lbs Venison to 3lbs pure Pork fat, the haunch was from a good beast so it also had a fair bit of fat to it.

Dont really want to go higher than 30% added fat incase I start to lose the Venison taste.

Any ideas?

What else are you adding?
Rusk and water (or wine/cider)
I add Soya to mine and this should assist with retaining moisture, or at least thats what i have been told.
How are you cooking them?
Over cooked maybe?
Cheers
Richard

its just a basic banger I made. I thought I might have overdone the Rusk last time to left it out this time.

4Kg Venison
1.5Kg Pork fat
Half litre Pork stock
60grms Salt
18grms pepper.

I have fried, grilled and oven baked them just to see if a different method works but to no avail.

They are JUST cooked too.

I have given over stuffing my venison widows memories with a mixture of rusk its like chomping at the gusset of a whores drawers. I made some superb ones last week best ever just filled them with all the scrag end and fat of the deer without adding anything other than a touch of mint source and a dash of lea and perrins and two eggs to bind it all together and they were superb.

You need to put the rusk in to bind it all together and keep the fat in!
You should have a bare minimum of juice out of them when you cook them if the mix is right.
I bet you ended up with all your fat in the bottom of the grill?
If you look at some of the recipes I've posted they are based on 20% cooking bacon which I believe gives a better taste than pure fat. The bacon is about 50% fat itself which means that my bangers are a mere 10% fat.:eek:
Nice and healthy, but still not dry either!:p
Best to start with a proven recipe and take the guess work out of it rather than put people off your products!;)
MS:)

You need to put the rusk in to bind it all together and keep the fat in!
You should have a bare minimum of juice out of them when you cook them if the mix is right.
I bet you ended up with all your fat in the bottom of the grill?
If you look at some of the recipes I've posted they are based on 20% cooking bacon which I believe gives a better taste than pure fat. The bacon is about 50% fat itself which means that my bangers are a mere 10% fat.:eek:
Nice and healthy, but still not dry either!:p
Best to start with a proven recipe and take the guess work out of it rather than put people off your products!;)
Thanks fella, wasnt aware of the rusk thing.

And yes, you are right, alot of fat in pan and grill.

Heading out tonight, Il see if I can find another candidate

Many thanks again.

Ive asked my local butchers and they are as coy as hell.

Il try them. The first recipe sounds perfect. Got it in my Favourites so I can get to it quickly.

If I was to do away with the bacon and just use pork fat (I have kilos of it) would it just be the same quantity?

Last edited:
If I was to do away with the bacon and just use pork fat (I have kilos of it) would it just be the same quantity?

That would give you about 20% fat content which would be fine.
However, I've tried prime pork back fat and the results are nowhere near as good as using the bacon.
I've also used belly slices and ground shoulder which were ok but still nowhere near as good. The bacon imparts a flavour and some salt too which is what makes them that bit more special! You will need to add a little salt if just using plain fat. Why not try 50:50 of each and see what tastes best?

Yep, I could give the bacon a whirl.

Il let you know how I get on.

Ive just spent some money on Scoobies.

Il be sick of bangers soon.

Im going to need to start swapping them with my friend the Scallop diver :D

have you tried adding a breast of minced mutton to your mix, we add it to our's along with cranberry and apple seasoning from the butchers

http://www.scobiesdirect.com/Recipe.asp?Organic=&RecipeNo=1105&ItemNo=SE11875

Make sure you add enough water and make sure that you mix it really well i put mine through a 10 mil then a 5mm then a 5mm again
I just use a 5mm once. Instead of water I used a drop of pork stock.

have you tried adding a breast of minced mutton to your mix, we add it to our's along with cranberry and apple seasoning from the butchers
I used some mutton trimming before to lubricate the banger mix but I didnt like the tatse.

The taste reminded me of a ****ed night out munching down on a greasy Kebab. I maybe over did it :D

Last edited:
when i make them i use tesco/asda bacon bits, £1 a packet.
i don't weigh it out proportionally but normally i use two three packets per roe.
i freeze em first as it makes them easier to mince.

try a small batch and add more or less to your desired tastes.
meat is so lean some fat will do it no harm what so ever.

Mutton fat in sausages is not to be recommended! It will make the mix greasy and may even taste rancid. Stick to pork fat, back fat is ideal although you could use belly pork for a leaner mix.

They certainly do taste good, just got to get the texture/juicyness right :lol:

IMG_0008.jpg

Dan
Another tip is add a cup of red wine into a mix and use large cases, the problem I always found was venison allways becomes to dry in small cases unless you only use around 50% venison as main ingredient over this they do tend to start drying out
but them I'm no expert at sausage making:oops:

Back