Powder Tricklers

scrun63

Ok, i know some don't like tricklers and some swear by them. But i've decided to get all anal and try one out. Sooooo, has anyone out there got any good or bad tales about tricklers they've used or bought and would any be recommended ? Or is it just as good to buy the cheapest and hope for the best ?

Cheers in advance

Andrew

I used to have a Hornady one before I went digital (RCBS Chargemaster)

Couldn't fault it... at the end of the day it's a bit of plastic with a metal tube :)

I found money was better spent getting your powder thrower to chuck consistent charges....I used a RCBS uniflow with baffle and could easily throw to +-0.1grn of my charge weight.

I used to have a Hornady one before I went digital (RCBS Chargemaster)

Couldn't fault it... at the end of the day it's a bit of plastic with a metal tube :)

I found money was better spent getting your powder thrower to chuck consistent charges....I used a RCBS uniflow with baffle and could easily throw to +-0.1grn of my charge weight.

I use the Lee powder thrower i got with the kit. But i find that varies by more than an acceptable amount and i'm continually having to check with scales on every charge and if it's out then i throw another one, which could be perfect :rolleyes:. Are the RCBS ones that much more accurate ?

I found the same problem with the Lee powder measurer, it is not as good as others on the market. If I'm measuring exact for every round I just use a lee dipper to correct the charge while on the scales. No need for a trickler, but I don't do loads of re-loading.

Just to add a spanner in the works..

I also used to have a Lee perfect powder thrower... and I thought it was bloody good!

It might be more to do with your method.

Tips

1 - Make sure the thrower is full.

2 - Be consistent in your actions, I used to tap twice at the top and twice at the bottom of the stroke.... pause and then repeat process.

The RCBS ones are good... but not worth the cash difference over the LEE IMHO.

Hmmm I brought a used trickler some years back, just looked it's a Redding with heavy metal base, the thing I have noticed is that some powders trickle better than others. When using the Uniflow again once must be methodic in ones actions to get the best results. Again I brought used ;) saves a lot of money that way. I have never tried the Lee perfect Podwer measure so cannot comment on how good/bad it may be.

i use a target trickler (about £95) and its a godsend , well worth the cash and is a good half way house to the 400-500 versions.

As Muir states, tricklers are all about the same, the thing to look for is the right hight in relation to your scale pan, I modified mine by bonding a cast steel trolley jack wheel to the base of one of mine, this makes it un- spillable........... spilling/ knocking over your trickler when full can be costly!:oops:....... you can get very adept at finishing pan weights with a twist of thumb & finger, if you use it regularly you can automatically finish charges of differing powders quickly.:cool:

I've got a lightweight plastic one and it's fine now that I have filled the base with 69grn .224 hollow points as ballast, all they were good for! Shame I had 1000 of them! JC

Back