First try of my first home loads

oilmanjd

Well, today went out to the range and had a great time with my very first selection of homeloads.
I have just taken this up and decided to make differing powder mass as a starting point.
I made 6 lots of the same bullets but increasing the powder 0.5grn each time.
The following is what I made:

Calibre: 0.308
Once fired case: Winchester
Bullet: 165grn BTSP (Hornady Interlock)
Powder: VitaVhouri N-140 (40.6grn, 41.1grn, 41.6 grn, 42.1grn, 42.6grn and finally 43.1 grn)
Primer: Federal Match
0.020" from the lands.

Each bullet loading went very well, the best bullet tested so far was the 43.1 grn, gave me a good group, less than an Inch at 100 yrds. Tested the same bullet recipe again at approx 160-170 yrds and very little drop, great response from the rifle and bullet combo.
The reason for the starting of homeloading was due to initially having a mare with this rifle in the fact that it was fussy on the factory ammo I was trying on it. The bullet placement was all over the place and very inconsistent. Now after today, I am very confident in the bullet placement using this new rifle......more loads development on going.
I will post pics when I get a chance.
For me, just goes to show that homeloading does have an very large affect on the performance of the rifle.

Very happy this afternoon......even after getting the Disco stuck in the mud at the range.

Jd,

some good shooting today and proof that the homeloads do make a difference.
Confidence up on the rifle is really going to have an affect on future shooting.
well done for the hard work.
some nice shots and food for thought, i have 250 empty 243 cases.

nice work

f.

Jd,

some good shooting today and proof that the homeloads do make a difference.
Confidence up on the rifle is really going to have an affect on future shooting.
well done for the hard work.
some nice shots and food for thought, i have 250 empty 243 cases.

nice work

f.

Get yourself some dies and you are more than welcome to have a go on the press etc and see if you like it or if there is a benefit for you over the factory ammo.....you know what that 0.308 was like previously on the factory ammo....absolute hell.

Oh, after tomorrows day out, let me know when you want to adjust your trigger and i'll come over.
Cheers,
JD.

Well done with the first reloads - I haven't been at this very long and so can still remember shooting my first reloads and how good it feels that they work, and that they don't blow your head off :) I shot my first red deer with one of my reloads just over a week ago and was pleased with that so hope it will not be long until you get your first deer with a home made one.

ha ha, I was a bit unsure of how the loads would react.....always that thought in the back of the mind when it comes to pulling that trigger for the first time.
It is a good feeling firing those homeloads out your rifle and the reaction is what you like.
Out on Thursday with the home loads......hopefully one will get to see the right side of a Deer.:D
Congrats with your own reload on the deer.....well done.

When you get your own reloading gear I would advise you to get the very best you can afford to avoid buying twice. Keep playing with your loads till you get the best accuracy possible. If you look at this >>>http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html it will give you a guide as what the real reloading experts are using to get top draw accuracy.

Different powders, primers, cases, bullets and seating depths all affect the accuracy, just as much if not more than the rifle itself.

With a .308 Winchester 0.5"-0.75" groups are very achievable in a factory rifle with the right load combination.

Good Luck Mate !!!

well done, nowt like using your own ammo. Seems to complete "the circle" with firearms ownership for me...

I remember when i tried my first homeloads in .243 :scared:but all was well,welcome to the dark side.:p

When he took his first shot i was ten paces behind him to his left so if anything when bang the wrong way his body got it first.
Thats what mates are for after all ha ha

Thursday is the big day.....

Home loading is the way to go and will get you beter acuracy if done right well done and it is a completly addictive hobby but please dont get complasant as it can all go wrong to easy.

PS Frank it is a lot cheaper or the way i do it you get more shots for your money.

Back