Fish Fight Campaign

Dawnraider

I don't know how many of you have seen the Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall programmes on ch4 concerning the state our fishing industry is in over EU regulations leading to discards of perfectley good fish back into the sea dead,and the ridiculous desire to farm salmon and feed it on ocean caught pelagic fish(3kg of wild fish to produce 1kg of salmon),but Hugh has started a campaign the Fish Fight and there is an online petition which is already up near 350,000. Could I ask any of you that feel that this is a worthwhile campaign which believe me as a fisherman i know it is, to just take a couple of minutes and sign it,if enough people get behind this one it really could change things for the better within the fishing industry.Hugh's Fish Fight - Thank you
Neil.

i filled this in as well .if campains like these carry on people can make a difference its time people understood what goes on in the food industry .education of people that have no idea whats going on,this also applies to stalking and venison .good sustainable and alternative foods,atb wayne

Aye, watched them mate, absolutely scandalous. I mean, we all know about discard when the fishermen have their quota but to see perfectly good and big cod being thrown back into the sea was really shocking.:cuckoo: A good campaign to get behind, gonna fill it in now. :thumb:

wadas

A good friend of mine was interviewed by HFW for this programme, they wouldnt give him a list of questions before filming as the wanted to keep the interiew "fluid", poor HFW was out his depth with him, when my pal had the upper hand HFW wouldnt let him answer the question before firing another at him.

He text me saying the episode was due to be aired last night... guess what?... they never showed the interview!

I USED to like HFW, Ive got right off him recently.

How does he expect to feed the six billion people on this planet without intensive farming.

This isnt France!

Of which he is half!

I worked on the inshore fishing fleet for 4 years and believe me this is a very complex can of worms that has been brought into the public domain, there are things like net size and deliberate dummping of fish that are ok to land but because larger versions of the same spieces fetch more and thay have a limited landing alowance thay are dumping the smaller ones and fishing on to get there quota in large fish and as aresult get more for the same quota.
It gets worse as you delv into this issue.

Dry Powder

Barry Thom

It's good to see it highlighted after so long, hopefully they will do something about the ridiculous fishing quota's. Put my name to it this morning, it's very worth while.

*jumps on soap box*

Forgive me for being the pessimist but how many petitions have we all signed regarding Gun Laws, Petrol Prices, Hunting, Snaring, Education ect?

What difference has it made?

Our Govt DOESNT listen, never has, never will.

I understand why people want to sign them, they ARE usually for a good cause, I have signed a few myself but have come to a conclusion that it is a complete and utter waste of time.

I suppose it gives us a right to complain if we sign it.

*jumps off soap box*

The common fisheries policy is an absolute sham,our boats have to put up with ridiculous quotas and days at sea rules whilst our European "cousins" seem to be able to flout just about every law there is,my family come from a long line of fishers and did very well at the sea until all these rules came in.In the 80's we were making roughly £ 50000 the year as a deckhand not a skipper as the rules changed the money went down you had to stay out longer in all weathers,more dangerous,with net in water in force 10 or 11 to make ends meet,in the 90's we built a new boat and she had to be on the water24/7,in the 80's you got home every weekend in the nineties you were home once every 3 weeks,eventually we got her decommisioned in 2003 and now sit back and laugh at the fact the government paid stupid money to scrap her,sold our quotas but still miss the sea,not worth going back now,the money you get not worth all the risk,better on the rigs or on land

Have to agree with dan,government don't care sold us all up the river but our French or Spanish cousins governments now that a different story.It's a shame margaret thatcher wasn't still PM she would have fought for us,she didn't want to go into the CFP,quite a visionary there she was,don't mention the mines though

Iceland and the faroese governments have more backbone than our lot,ie the mackerel quotas that they are setting for themselves,don't quote these figures they are off the top of my head,last year they took 30000 ton of mackerel this year they are trying for something like 300000 ton,our fishing leaders like Ian Gatt have more backbone than our government,I just hope it works out for our pelagic fleet,the government need to stand up for our fishers,they do the most dangerous job in the country and are getting a pay that is not enough for the risks they take,as dan says "off soap box",it's a way of life fishing not just a job

A good friend of mine was interviewed by HFW for this programme, they wouldnt give him a list of questions before filming as the wanted to keep the interiew "fluid", poor HFW was out his depth with him, when my pal had the upper hand HFW wouldnt let him answer the question before firing another at him.

He text me saying the episode was due to be aired last night... guess what?... they never showed the interview!

I USED to like HFW, Ive got right off him recently.

How does he expect to feed the six billion people on this planet without intensive farming.

This isnt France!

Of which he is half!
Dan , you are missing the point, A huge gap between intensive farming, and even more intensive waste.

Thanks for bringing this to the forum, dawnraider. Petition duly signed and others encouraged to do likewise.

"Evil prevails where good men do nothing"

Finnbear you are right the quota system is wasteful,dumping fish over the side is heartbreaking but by law you can't land them,what is needed is for the government to come out of the CFP and fight for our own waters.We should also stop the stupid quotas as there is now more cod in the sea than 15 years ago,because of the decommisioning of the top catching boats,what the fishing minister needs to do is listen to the fishermen and not to the scientists,who are hardly ever on the boats anyway.Instead of a quota system they should limit days at sea and land everything instead of wasting perfectly good(expensive)fish.why is it so expensive because there isn't enough getting landed it's going over the side.however limiting days at sea could become even more dangerous for those at sea as the best prices for fish are in the worst weather.I've signed as well as more than half the people I know,hope the government listen they haven't for the last 20 years to the men who have been at sea all their lives if it takes a celebrity chef to do it well so be it,at least he gives 2 hoots or is it more publicity for him and his franchise:-|If he impliments change good on him

Last edited:
Back