Falkniven Knives

kelvo73

I really want a Falkniven knife probably an H1, it's for stalking and general hunting. Is this the most suitable and the more important question, do you buy the standard knife or pay the extra £55 for the 3G steel. I am only a recreational stalker, so what's the verdict?

I had an F1 once. They are very good knives but, to be honest, there are alot better out there for general stalking. The blade is a little too thick and too deep and there was an anoying nick in the edge (choil?) at the point where the blade meets the handle. They are probably ideal if you want to fashion a new wing for an aeroplane out of oil drums and bamboo but I didn't find that I had to do that too often. I still have a small Falkniven folder that was a gift, that is a very useful knife. JC

best to get a cheap Frost for £5-10 put it in dishwasher, never sharpen, don't worry about losing on the hill and then buy a new one when needed. These are actually great knives for the job you require stalking.

The F1 is an excellent general purpose stalking / outdoors knife, strong, takes and holds an excellent edge. I can split the ribcage of a fallow or sika easily with mine, would not be without it.

The Frost clipper is a decent little cheap knife, basically disposable.

The F1 blade is a bit deep for doing the back passage on a Munty, probably on a Roe also (never did a Roe). The Frost would be ideal for that I am sure.

Tell the truth, I carry one of each, the F1 on my belt, the frost in the bag as a back-up. Never used the Frost yet though.

Fallniven F1 is probably one of the best all round knives money can buy. The laminated blade holds an edge far better than any other I have, and i have a few.

I have the standard knife, not the 3G and cannot recommend it enough.

If you can get a buck 110 from USA or a PUMA knife they may be better for roe, but on the hill the F1 or H1 takes some beating. Depends what you want to spend your money on. I like my fingers so would never buy a "cheap" knife.

Fallknivens are cracking knives, the H1 is made for hunting, the F1 is more bushcraft geared. I had a H1 and you will not be disappointed, the VG10 is great steel but if you are competent at sharpening 3g is better, the Frosts are no comparison.

I've got a F1 - the steel is much tougher than any Frosts, you don't get any dings if you hit bone. The H1 is probably better for gralloching because the F1 blade is quite fat, having said that I had no problems doing a small muntie - just don't stab the blade into the rectal passage, pinch the skin and cut, work your way round and free up the anus.

Thanks, some really goood replys. Most of my stalking if not all is Roe and some munty's so it seems the Falkniven are a little broad to be ideal??
But I would still like a decent knife so what about EKA? are they more suited to me.
The swithchblade seems popular.
Keep the advice coming

Hi Kelvo,i have used a Boker clip point for the last 4 years and i love it.I also have a Cold Steel hunter both knives are great.One bit of advice i would give is not to buy a knife before you hold it in your hand odvious i know but i made the mistake when i bought the Cold Steel SRK great knife but useless for stalking .
Most folks say get the best scope you can afford this i think holds true with knives.:cool:Have a look at "Moonraker Knives"he,s got every thing and is reasonable.
Good luck,Tusker

Don't just think about the knife for a minute, include the sheath too. We are encouraged as responsible stalkers to be "food safe", so you need a dishwasher proof knife and sheath if you are going to put venison into the food chain, ie. not just your own family.

Have a look at the; http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mora-2010-new-bushcraft-knife-1898-p.asp I have the 2000 and the only thing that lets it down is the sheath, the knife is wonderful. The 2010 has the lot!! It has everything you need and fairly good steel.

I also have a Spyderco Bill Moran which is wonderful steel, and an EKA swingblade. The Bill moran has a kydex dishwasher proof sheath, but the EKA is the knife I would not be without. Wayne Davies is selling them on the "for sale" section at the moment, you will not better the price or get better value for money.

All my knives are flat ground as they are easier to sharpen when necessary. I believe the Fallkniven's are convex ground which is too much of a faff for me to bother with.

Regards, Simon

I am a little confused here what are you going to be using the knife for ? When did a knife used for stalking have to be dishwasher safe.EKA swingblade I have not seen in the flesh but what are the advantages of it over a normal folding knife ?

I am a little confused here what are you going to be using the knife for ? When did a knife used for stalking have to be dishwasher safe.EKA swingblade I have not seen in the flesh but what are the advantages of it over a normal folding knife ?

Mullbiker, I will quote you the passage from the DSC1 handbook, I cannot be bothered with wading through the officialese;

" From the moment the deer is killed, the carcass must be cleanly and correctly handled because it is destined to become Human food."

This means that it comes under the Food Hygiene Regulations (HACCP), which specify what type of knife you should use. Whether you actually do or not is up to the individual, but if a prosecution ensued you would be found in breach of the regulations if you had not followed their guidelines. The salient points are published in the DSC1 handbook.

The advantage of the EKA is self-evident if you look at it, gutting blade one way, ordinary blade the other. Good steel too. I would not be without mine now.

Simon

Edit; The Food Hygiene Laws were changed in 2006.

Last edited:

Here is a link you may find interesting, with regards as to the advantages of the EKA SWINGBLADE.

Rgds.Buck.

Hi Kelvo, I'm at Ingleby barwick if you want to come and have a shave with or look at my H1 if you've not seen one in the metal. I've also got a clipper for comparison.
The H1 holds an edge like no other knife I've used (I'm sure there are plenty of other knives that do though):)

I really like the H1 but the blade depth is approximately 1.25 in which is a fraction deep for roe and muntjac IMO, but not if you are mainly gralloching larger deer....

Back