A puzzle

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
Just a bit of fun.
While waiting in ambush one evening last week I had a thought.
You are in the borders on the English side, and you see a roe in one of your fields in Scotland.
You raise your .222 and aim, If you fire have you commited an offence?
You have permission and are on your land.
It is just an invisible boundry.
You have a legal calibre and roe in Scotland on your ticket.
if you discharge it at the deer from your side where it is unlawful, with the intent to kill it in scotland where do you stand legally?
regards John.

Why would you be out stalking in the first place in England with a 222 irrespective of that you had permission to shoot deer over the invisible boundary?unless your quarry you was after on the English side was the smaller species of deer then I would say you would commit an offence taking a shot at a roe deer over the boundary in Scotland with that particular weapon.
The action would be that you discharged with intent at an illegal quarry species in England with the incorrect calibre.

All hypothetical of course as who would know for sure where the definitive boundary was unless it was clearly defined visually;)

You have a legal calibre and roe in Scotland on your ticket.
if you discharge it at the deer from your side where it is unlawful, with the intent to kill it in scotland where do you stand legally?

As I read it you are quite correct
It is an unlawfull act , so I would be breaking the law as per conditions of my ticket
bit of a grey area I admit
but still the intent to commit a crime is the offence ,
as the crime itself is in my mind actually lawfull

Just for fun, would that mean if the beast was shot from the Scottish side of the border but was standing in England it would be OK? You would have shot an English deer with a c/f 22 after all.

think I need to get out more.

Just for fun, would that mean if the beast was shot from the Scottish side of the border but was standing in England it would be OK? You would have shot an English deer with a c/f 22 after all.

think I need to get out more.
I would say thats also an offence as well as you was aware the beast stood on English soil but if it was shot in Scotland and run over the boundary into England you could not retrieve it either without the permission of the shooting rights of the land but if you held the shooting rights on both sides then you could retrieve it.

I would say thats also an offence as well as you was aware the beast stood on English soil but if it was shot in Scotland and run over the boundary into England you could not retrieve it either without the permission of the shooting rights of the land but if you held the shooting rights on both sides then you could retrieve it.

I agree
I would still be commiting an offence according to the conditions set on my FAC
what a wonderfull world we live in:D

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there...... does it make a sound.....

I doubt joe plod knows anything about deer legal calibres in Scotland compared to England.... most 'novice' stalkers dont :confused: Why am I thinking about this, my cup of tea is getting cold... seriously.... and there's chocoate fingers :-| John :evil:

;) good lad.... tea's in the nuke. So if it's a doe on the 21st of October in season in Scotland but not yet in season in England and you shoot it with a legal calibre both ways from the English side..... that would be OK then wouldn't it??

Back