Thread: Gralloch a roe deer

Account Suspended
    North Yorkshire

Gralloch a roe deer

These piccies are the result of me witnessing a DSC2 candidate and is the evidence submitted and was the third beast shot during his few days with me, However this evidence will not be able to be counted as one of his ICR as the rules state that one of the ICR needs to be witnessed by a registered Accredited witness under the old blue portfolio system, which negates my ability to sign of the third stalk as I am only a credible witness.

1 The candidate indicates to me that the deer his dead as no reflex is seen or observed.

2 The candidate checks over the skin looking for external lumps or injuries or external parasites such as keds etc or warble fly

3. The candidate is checking inbetween the cleaves for any signs of blisters which would indicate possible foot and mouth disease.

4. The candidate is further checking inside the mouth looking for any sign of blisters that also would indicate foot and mouth disease.

5. The candidate is making the first incision to the throat to gain access to the asophogus and trachia

6. The Candidates extending the cut to seperate the attached muscle to the asophogus

7. Next the candidate has extricated the asophagus in preparation for it to be tied off. Note the spool of stirile waxed thread

8.-9-10-11 The osophogus was tied in two places with the waxed thread and cut inbetween which prevents
    any food in the mouth or contents and bacteria from eminating from the gullet

12 The candidate pinches the skin on the abdomen and lift the skin away from the internal rumen and makes an incision which he takes up to the sternum taking great care in not puncturing the rumen during the procedure.

13. Shows the extent of the length of cut prior to the rumen and stomach contents being removed.

14. The candidate inspects the viscera placing the cumberland sausage side down which aids identification of the mesenteric nodes

15 As the shot was a little way back the liver had been damaged although the rumen was intact the carcass was acceptable to enter the food chain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS850356.jpg   SS850357.jpg   SS850358.jpg   SS850359.jpg   SS850360.jpg  

SS850361.jpg   SS850362.jpg   SS850363.jpg   SS850364.jpg   SS850365.jpg  

SS850366.jpg   SS850367.jpg   SS850368.jpg   SS850369.jpg   SS850370.jpg  

Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 17-01-2011 at 12:30.

Account Suspended
    North Yorkshire
    Added text to Piccies

Good photos. I suggest that the candidate takes his watch off before putting his gloves on, or puts a long glove on that covers the watch completely. I take my watch off when I get home from work and don't put it on again until I go back to work. Placing the small intestines on the rumen helps to display the mesenteric lymph nodes too.

Rgds JCS

Great picture sequence.

I notice that most folks don't split the sternum, or at least wait until the viscera are removed. Could you please explain the rationale behind that? 'Over here' it is fairly common unless the animal is very big, elk and moose, to split the sternum at the same time as the cut exposing the viscera is made, or immediately after the viscera are removed.

Also, accessing the trachea and esophagus in the way shown here, obviously precludes a 'shoulder mount'. How do you change your procedures if you want to keep the cape intact?

I'm not criticizing, just curious.

Very usefull info just past my part one, will be a great help going towards part two...alan

[QUOTE=gitano;175530]......I notice that most folks don't split the sternum, ...QUOTE]

Paul. Most folk don't take a saw with them. Sometimes with a roe fawn I will split the sternum with my knife. For larger deer, it makes it tricky to drag the deer with the sternum split. Any deer being dragged should have small neck and stomach incisions to minimize contamination. However when its warm, splitting the sternum and pelvis in the field will aid cooling and if the deer is going to be lifted straight into an Argo, then it's a useful thing to do. My Dad had a large stag condemned because he couldn't get it cooled quick enough. Unless local practice dictates otherwise, I generally will remove the viscera in the field, but without cutting the sternum. With roe deer, I will typically remove head and legs in the field as well. It is however horses for courses with the objectives of keeping the carcass clean, an easy extraction and whether or not more deer are to be shot in mind.

Rgds JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 21-01-2011 at 08:46. Reason: grammar

Thanks for the reply, JCS.

I see that there are a few differences in hunting practices that make a difference in field-dressing procedures. First is "more deer to be shot". That can happen here, but very rarely. Second is that in Alaska for sure, there is very little 'dragging' done. I would venture to say that 90+% of all animals are "quartered" and carried from the field on the hunter's back. You don't drag out moose, caribou, sheep, or mountain goats. Bears shot over bait will usually get hauled out by 4-wheeler (AKA "ATV"). Argos are used here, but less than 4-wheelers. I doubt 1% of the hunters in Alaska have access to one.

As for using a saw... here in Alaska for sure, one learns pretty quick. how to dis-articulate all the limb joints and 'split' the sternum with a knife. Separating the ribs from the sternum isn't difficult with a knife, even on a moose, if you have been shown how to do it. For those using 4-wheelers, carrying a bone-saw along is fairly common. For those that fly in, a bone saw is usually out of the question.

Since it's against the law to sell any meat of any game animal there is no such thing as "condemnation" of a carcase here. Actually, I'd have to qualify that comment a little. We have a law called "Wanton Waste". To illustrate how seriously we take wasting fish and game meat, people have been prosecuted for leaving as little as 6 oz of meat from a moose in the field. That was an extreme case, and the defendant didn't get convicted, but it illustrates how significant wasting game meat is to us. If you were to allow the cops to interpret that you didn't cool your moose or caribou fast enough and the meat "spoiled", you could get charged with "Wanton Waste". I'm not among the 'norm' for sure, but unless I'm in one of the states in which the hunting season occurs in hot weather, I don't "worry" about getting anything smaller than an elk "cooled" "immediately. Up here in Alaska, it's rare - except with moose - that any extra effort is required to get a game animal 'cool'.

Nice write up and pics have sent away for my DSC2 pack , very informative