boar

MrYou

How do you guy find the best way to clean your boars. shave, skin peel. which?

In the past, i grollack, steam the pig , then shave, whilst hung.The rest is history.
what your method?

Thanks

I always laugh at the Ray Mears show where he is roasting a "young wild boar" on a spit. I think the Gurkha's were helping him out.

There is this pristine pink farm pig, in it's skin, on the spit. So obviously the product of an abbatoir. It no more looked like a wild boar than a rabbit did.

How do you guy find the best way to clean your boars. shave, skin peel. which?

In the past, i grollack, steam the pig , then shave, whilst hung.The rest is history.
what your method?

Thanks
Found the best option is to skin it, try to leave as much fat on the very lean meat. Have heard of the hair being torched off but I guess that would be a tad stinky not to mention the mess whilst trying to handle it afterwards. Reckon the old disposables would take a bit of a beating getting through that lot, though you mention steaming, that may soften it up a bit and a going over with a good sharp blade may make some headway. I have a trip planned down south in a fortnight so if I'm lucky enough to get a shot at one then I may test your method. At least on a small part of it!
ATB
Pete

I concur Jagare, M&S do some very good tweezers.

ATB Barry

Muter Muter, Muter. been on three continents and still havnt had my first one yet!!!!

Well I've scalded lots and lots of domestic pigs, both white and coloured and spotted (and they all end up pink), but any pigs that've been outdoors are sods to scald. Even worse if lean and coloured, especially if Tamworth or Wild Boar in the breeding. The last ones I did I skinned instead as there was no way the bristles would come off by conventional methods. Therefore, I reckon I'd do the same with a wild Wild Boar.

We always do them like this or on a cradle, as its tough scalding them at 3am in the middle of a feild

DSCF0683.jpg

DSCF0680.jpg

DSCF0688.jpg

DSCF0687.jpg

Last edited:
Done a few pig cross boar, domestic obviously. Anything smaller than about 50kg we scalded and scraped, and then any really tough hairs came off at butchering with a blow torch. Anything bigger than that we skinned, as they were outside pigs and their skin was tough as anything.

I'd always skin a wild boar, their hair is so rough and thick, and the skin is also thick and tough.

Hey it looks like its goiNg to take off in to the distance mate ,Did you borrow that off Aladin. This is how you do it ALACAZAM!

We didnt have a clean board...lol...so the rug had it and very lucky to have a butcher that shoots with us from time to time, otherwise we would just cut chunks off them...:lol:

DSCF0698.jpg

DSCF0700.jpg

DSCF0707.jpg

DSCF0703.jpg

DSCF0695.jpg

I have taken the skin off of a bunch of them, at the beginning of my experience it was with an experienced German hunter then later with a German vet / abbotoir controller who is a very good pal of mine and he emphasises that they must be hung for convinient working and the skin with all the underlying fat worked off the flesh with a very sharp knife. It usually takes an hour for a 60kg beast.
I have a German vhs video of how it is done. I could bring it with me to the UK next week as I am coming back for a couple years. Any whizzos who could put on dvd for the group? bugger the c/right.
Regards
Martin

Back