Best powder for 6.5x55 cal?

204 Ruger

Hi all. Just about to take receipt of my new rilfe adn will be reloading for it. Have read a couple of threads regarding loads using Reloader 19 and IMR 4350 but wanted your opinion on the best powder to use. Ive got some Varget and Benchmark already but haev only seen a couple of peope using Varget. What should I be goping for/ whats working well for you in this calibre. Cheers Steve

4350 is my favorite, but this kind of question is like asking what flavor icecream is the best. You're going to get a lot of legitimate answers. Maybe you should just pick one and forge ahead!~Muir

I decided on Viht-N160 as that was what Hornady recommended for their 129gn SST's. I am trying to work up a load for my Barnes TSX 130gn and am considering buying another powder, Barnes use Magpro and Reloader 22 on their site.

I think any of the medium-slow powders will work, only experience would tell you what works best in your barrel. N-160 works very well in mine.

Simon

There seems to be a bit of a trend towards using slightly faster powders than would have been the case 10 years ago, particularly given the near universal use of moderators, often with shorter barrels.

I have been using Benchmark (quite fast - too fast for the Swede I think) and Re17 in my 260rem with good results in terms of accuracy and velocity.

I would defintely try Re17 in your 6.5.

Thanks chaps, good info so far. Yeah, had heard that BM could be a bit too fast. Shame ive got a near full tub :)

Hi all. Just about to take receipt of my new rilfe adn will be reloading for it. Have read a couple of threads regarding loads using Reloader 19 and IMR 4350 but wanted your opinion on the best powder to use. Ive got some Varget and Benchmark already but haev only seen a couple of peope using Varget. What should I be goping for/ whats working well for you in this calibre. Cheers Steve

ive used N560 , N160 , RL22 and VARGET all with exelent results but my personal fav is N160

cheers lee

Hi,

I've used stiff loads of N160/N560 out to 1000yds, but for slighty more comfortable loads, I must praise Varget.

Hodgdon 4350 works well with 120gn Amax bullets out of mine, and I've heard good reports about Alliant Reloder 22 and Vit N560 especially with heavier bullets, though I have yet to try those two. H4895 also works quite well in 120gn bullets though technically it's a bit too fast burning, but H380 and H414 are awful on comparison. On paper, Reloder 19 would seem to be a good bet for mid weight bullets.

N160 with a 120 or 140 grain TSX, works for me, going to try 100 grain BT with N160.

Last edited:
I have used n160 n150 and n560 and my 6.5 firing 129 grn sst,s liked n150 the best and not the max nearer the minimum. Its SAUER

140 hornady RL 19 works for me had a session with new T3 in the wind on Sunday shot decent groups dispite strong wind from behind and right I am no paper puncher but it has only had 25 rounds thruogh it till Sunday Clean and shoot 3rounds groups about 1 1/2 inches could be much less on calm day and if I tried harder.same rounds have clover leafed in my old 595.
and stopped more than a few big red stags.:D

I use H4350 for Hornady interlocks 129, 140 and 160 grains works fine in my CZ 550.

John

Ok radical suggestion here :idea: why not see what powders you can get locally easily. As pointed out any medium to slow burnign rate powder can be used in the 6.5x55 and development of that load will likely give aceptable results. You looking for in no particular order:-

Reloader 15, 19 or 22
IMR 4350, 4831, 7828
Vhit N160 or N165
Hodgdons 4895, 380, 414, 4350 or 4831
Vectan TU 5000 should also probbably be suitable but you ahd better check that. I knwo that I use it in the 7x57 but don't have the data to hand right now.

Pick a powder that you can get easily then your bullet and work up your load :p.

Another vote for N160 and Benchmark is what I use in my .223, its cracking in that. Brits advice is good, as no use developing a load and then finding you cant get the powder in the future.

Another vote for N160 and Benchmark is what I use in my .223, its cracking in that. Brits advice is good, as no use developing a load and then finding you cant get the powder in the future.

This is why I bought N-160 and Hornady 129gn SST's, I could source them easily! A damn sight easier than I could source 140gn Federal Powershoks.

But now I have got to playing with other bullets (thank you Neil) and I might just have to buy another powder or three to try :doh: He was right about Speer TNT's in 90gn, they vapourise rabbits! Not something I will be doing again. Barnes TSX 130gn next, a good accurate load, I have not quite got there yet. I also have some 140gn Speer SP's to try.

Simon

I only started shooting last summer but on the advice of a good friend I'm using 45 grns of N160 with a 140grn bullet in my Tikka T3.
Works like a dream with a nice flat trajectory and I'll probably stick to the combination.

Ok radical suggestion here :idea: why not see what powders you can get locally easily. As pointed out any medium to slow burnign rate powder can be used in the 6.5x55 and development of that load will likely give aceptable results. You looking for in no particular order:-

Reloader 15, 19 or 22
IMR 4350, 4831, 7828
Vhit N160 or N165
Hodgdons 4895, 380, 414, 4350 or 4831
Vectan TU 5000 should also probbably be suitable but you ahd better check that. I knwo that I use it in the 7x57 but don't have the data to hand right now.

Pick a powder that you can get easily then your bullet and work up your load :p.

with my riflr , tu5000 is a right bitch !

just can not get it to like it .

Back