Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why me 2

why me 2

if you read my earler post you will know what im on about,8.15 was earlist i could make the wood ,went straight in to last spot where i saw my muntjac,took my lab with me more used to picking pheasant than deer but she can cover more ground than me and has a better nose,anyway 11am one knackerd me and a slowing down dog still no muntjac. this is my first lost deer iv not shot vast amounts of deer but i shoot upto 300 fox a year and thought myself competent enough to see the signs,totaly peed off, and not one for the game book, any pointers welcome, anot happy simon

How long did you wait after the initial shot only it sounded like you walked straight to your prize but obviusly i could be wrong i tend to give it at least ten minutes to watch for any signs of movement before moving forward just incase a follow up shot is needed.

Bad luck Simon. Were you able to find any clues about where the bullet struck. Pins, a wound bed, blood spatter etc?

hi rick it was a good 5 mins for me to reload check with the binos, unload climb down,send text to other stalker in the wood and walk in,but i do admit i didnt reload when i got down and i poss went in to hard,but hey was on a high and all sence goes out the window,i couldnt find a thing next day ,even the dog wasnt over keen on the last spot i seen my muntjac. we have got our last pheasant shoot next wed and ill be asking the beaters to be on the lookout,just as a referance and reminder for me not to be as casual next time
    cheers simon

This sort of thing can always happen when shooting live targets. How often do you see a pheasant drop to earth like a stone yet when you and the dogs get there it's gone? It's bound to happen whenever you shoot live targets, sometimes they are just stunned or the bullet or pellet creases the skull. Over the years I have seen foxes to all intents and purposes drop dead yet they are gone when you get there, never to be found even by a good dog. Not all targets are hit as hard as we think. It doesn't happen often but it does happen!

As I replied to your other post I will reply to this aswell
    shame really you did not continue the first post as it would be easier for all concerned to follow but no matter

some pointers which may help
    As in my previous reply I felt you legged it,
    still not an issuse if it was a muntie
    they are territorial and even if it was a wandering buck it won't hav travelled far and if there is cover that is what most injured deer stick to
    you say you used your lab off a leash to cover ground
    question is
    is your lab used to bringing back munties for you

if not then no point letting it work of the leash,
    because in my experience they will find them but not bring them back
    once that happens the dog will often leave the deer and carry on searching possibly for a pheasant or what ever it has been trained to do, I take it in your case pheasants
    and you may not realise they had actually found the deer, so carry on searching elsewhere needlessly

if it was still alive and the dog had put it up out of the view , what are the chances the dog will give chase and kill the deer,
    probably not a lot
    so gave chase and gave up after a few yards then carried on self hunting
    again finding lost deer is not always about letting a dog go and hoping
    I've been there
    my old springer would shake the **** out of a deer till it was dead then once he realised he could not drag it back he would leave it be and come back to me
    no way would he then go and search that deer again, even run over it with out a glance
    as he already had been there, done that

you could go sit quiet in the same area again just incase the deer is still alive and in the area, may get lucky
    in about 10 days time just walk in the same area again and see if you can smell it , should be pungent enough by then
    but in the whole this one lost deer could teach you more than any other deer you kill cleanly
    unfortunately it happens ,
    just need to be more prepared for the next one

on another note if it takes you more than an hour of searching for a badly hit deer and no signs hen I feel you are searching in the wrong area
    go back mark the definate signs once more and try again but more slowly, it should help

I do feel you hav fecked up an easy search and find
    and would be gratefull if you would post the results if you do ever find this said beast
    even if it is in a months time, as I don't think it will be to far from the place you shot it
    and plus your loss could help others in the long run
    sorry if you feel I am a bit un-sympathetic, but you are at a stage I was many years ago and sympathy don't help the next time around trust me on that

Letting your dog try for a wounded munty when it has been trained for pheasant as stone says would not help you in your quest much.Has your dog found dead beasts before?Or shown any interest in deer at all?How old is your lab ?I am asking these questions because I feel they are all required to be asked.I feel stone is also correct when he says the munty is probably in general area.If you know anyone with a truly trained DEER dog one with experience I would ask them for a hand,a deer just skimmed in the brisket or leg can run a long way and as stone says if you try a pheasant trained dog on it there will be way too many distractions for your four legged pal.We have all been where you are just now,that's why I have trained deer dogs to help me and other peopleWe all learn by our mistakes,one of my first was always trust your dog

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I would add it to your game book just to remind yourself about it,I do,it will help when your memory starts to fade

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

SW i thought it might be me reading it wrong and apart from a slow approach with a chambered round i dont think there was anything different you or anyone else could have done and i think you have just been dam unlucky.
    What has become apparent though is your genuine sorro for the loss of the deer and questioning your own actions as to could you have done anything different then going back to the shot site asap with a dog to assist in the tracking i would like to think all stalkers would put this much thought and effort in if things didnt go quite as planned.
    Take what you can from it but dont dwell on it and its very commendable of you to post it on here, a stalker with a sensible head on his shoulders me thinks and if you were ever in my neck of the woods i would have no hesitation in taking you out for a stalk.

Think like a deer!!
    Go to where you last saw it and look at what is around you.
    If you were wounded and wanted to escape and hide - where would you head for? Nearest thick cover, brambles, gorse, etc.
    Once inside, they normally stop.
    Get down on your hands and knees and look at it from their perspective. You will see so much more like runs through thick cover. There should also be pins or paint if you hit it that hard. It won't be too far away, even if it is still alive.
    If your dog isn't trained for this aspect, it may well ignore a dead deer. I reckon it will be there close by and dead.