illuminated reicle or standard for deer at last light?

mel

How much longer shooting will an illuminated reticle give you over a non-illuminated reticle at last light on deer. Considering all things equal with the rest of the scope.

The illuminated S&B 8x56 fixed scope is about £260 more than the standard reticle, is it worth it?

I would gauge the time in minutes.

I recently tried an illuminated scope and although I was sceptical (Im not into all these fashionable "extras") but I was thoroughly IMPRESSED! Not that it gave me more time at dark but the way it guided you "on target" alot more naturally, its hard to explain but it makes a scope feel alot more user friendly.

My next scope will be illuminated

Mel,

It's not just last light. If you prefer a thin crosshair and set it upon a Sika in dark shade then the "dot" really does help. These reticles remember the last brightness you set them on. Some have Day & Night settings so you have two levels.

Stan

Hi Mel
i have illuminated red dot on my top of the range zeiss ive had a good few deer i wouldnt
have shot at without illuminated reticle but thats also down to good light gathering through
the big lense ,my mate on one outing could hardly make out the animal and i could see it clearly
and with red dot bumped it off no probs i dont fire unless im sure and take no chances
Solway

Thanks for the advice guys. The S&B 8x56 with the L3 illuminated reticle is now ordered and will get put on the 25-06 T3 Lite that Santa brought me.

All I have to do now is explain to the Mrs that her 'soft furnishings' budget is £800 less than she was expecting it to be :D

Remember 1 hour before and after last light! I tried one a few years back and when you looked through the scope it was great but when you looked away you could still see the reticule! I am sure they have improved dramatically.

Remember 1 hour before and after last light!

Yes Sunrise an Sunsett and remember also NO artificial LIGHT to aid the SHOOTING OF DEER ????????? eeeeeerrrrm so by the letter of the Law even using one in a Dark Wood during Full Day light you would be breaking the Law???????? Before i get loads of Stick READ the Law, NO LAMPING (only with a License) NO NV NO ARTIFICIAL LIGHTING AID??????

The last poster STALKERBOYDY got there before me! I can recall all the "legal niceties" about using "mechanically propelled vehicles" in other forms of shooting etc. from years ago. I really wouldn't want to be the person that WILL EVENTUALLY be the "test case" in Court over this.

Not every deer instantly drops to shot. So, aside from the legality or not of an illuminated red dot scope for deer, if a responsible stalker do not have access to a dog to track/find deer how much reasonable light do you give yourself to find your deer in the evening? I would suggest a minimum of 1/2 an hour after the shot for bushy terrain, plantations and standing crops -flat grass fields with a torch are relatively easy.

Big difference between lighting, as in shining a light onto the deer, and illuminated. The illuminated reticle helps you see the reticle, not the deer. It's no different to checking your watch to see what time it is and the hands glowing or those that smoke with the tip of the cigarette glowing.

Stan

I agree with you there Smullery and I too now have an illuminated Swaro. I suppose the only real concern, well for me at least, is before when shooting at last light I might not have been able to see the cross hairs to take the shoot, although I could see the deer. So now that I am able to see the deer and the reticle I must be doubley sure that I can still follow up the deer or have access to a dog, as those few minutes can make all the difference in finding or losing a deer.

Big difference between lighting, as in shining a light onto the deer, and illuminated. The illuminated reticle helps you see the reticle, not the deer. It's no different to checking your watch to see what time it is and the hands glowing or those that smoke with the tip of the cigarette glowing.

Stan

ANY artificial lighting AID to HELP with Shooting a DEER is "ILLEGAL" So you can see it, but NOT your crosshair?? But to take the shot you NOW turn on a "Illuminated Reticle" to "AID" in taking a Deer ??????? And by useing "Moon Light" when say the Sun set's at 5pm with a Bright Moon you shoot a Deer 5.05pm by Moon Light "Illegal" Add to that what if you screw a shot up in that sort of BAD Light ????????? And YES i do use a Dog, Morning, during the Day and Evening when i am Stalkng. In 36yrs of Stalking i have NEVER EVER USED a Illuminated Reticale, IMHO if you cant see your Cross Hair to take a shot, then its to Dark an probally outside the Time Scale to be within the Law.

ANY artificial lighting AID to HELP with Shooting a DEER is "ILLEGAL"

stalkerboydy

Where exactly are you looking in the Law?

Under Section 3 of the Deer Act (1991) "any person takes or intentionally kills any deer between the expiry of the first hour after sunset and the beginning of the last hour before sunrise, he shall be guilty of an offence" but it has nothing to say about use of artificial aids such as illuminated reticles?

It's not in the 2007 Regulatory Reform either.

EDITED VERSION:

I presume you are referring to the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981, where it states that it is an offence, for the purposes of killing a wild animal, to use:

"(ii) any device for illuminating a target or sighting device for night shooting;
(iii) any form of artificial light or any mirror or other dazzling device
"

An illuminated reticle is not designed to illuminate the target (it is designed to illuminate the reticle), nor is it designed as a dazzling device. If you are interpreting it as a "an artificial light", then it would indeed be an interesting test case.

Personally I don't shoot at dusk - if I can't see the deer with my own eyes then I am not going to risk a shot simply because I can see the deer through the reticle. That's my choice.

Where I have used an illuminated reticle is conifer woods in the morning (well after the 1 hour before sunrise!) where the heightened contrast between the red dot and the grey of a roe in winter pelage is useful.

willie_gunn

Last edited:
stalkerboydy

Where exactly are you looking in the Law?

Under Section 3 of the Deer Act (1991) "any person takes or intentionally kills any deer between the expiry of the first hour after sunset and the beginning of the last hour before sunrise, he shall be guilty of an offence" but it has nothing to say about use of artificial aids such as illuminated reticles?

It's not in the 2007 Regulatory Reform either, so I'm interested to know where this is defined?

willie_gunn

+1 on that question about illumination, any illumination.

For that matter, has shooting outside the 1hour before/after sun-rise/set actually stopped being permissable ?
(Please note, word chosen advisedly)

p.s. No you haven't found IT Willie (per your edit above). Unless I'm very much mistaken the rules you quote apply to Schedule 6 listed animals. Deer are not on that list.

Last edited:
p.s. No you haven't found IT Willie (per your edit above). Unless I'm very much mistaken the rules you quote apply to Schedule 6 listed animals. Deer are not on that list.

Tamus - I was quoting Section 1, Para 11 2(c). I thought these applied to all animals, not just those on Schedule 6, though I stand to be corrected ;)

See also the BASC website, under Prohibited Methods of Taking/Killing Wildlife (including game) on the following page: http://www.basc.org.uk//en/departments/game-and-gamekeeping/game-shooting/shooting-seasons.cfm

Interestingly the BASC website states that “Illuminating device” may include laser-type sighting devices. By this I take it they mean the "red dot" type of laser sights that project a red dot onto the target?

willie_gunn

Tamus - I was quoting Section 1, Para 11 2(c). I thought these applied to all animals, not just those on Schedule 6, though I stand to be corrected ;)

See also the BASC website, under Prohibited Methods of Taking/Killing Wildlife (including game) on the following page: http://www.basc.org.uk//en/departments/game-and-gamekeeping/game-shooting/shooting-seasons.cfm

Interestingly the BASC website states that “Illuminating device” may include laser-type sighting devices. By this I take it they mean the "red dot" type of laser sights that project a red dot onto the target?

willie_gunn

It seems crystal clear on the BASC website you quoted:
Use of any device for illuminating a target for all birds except feral pigeons and for all mammals listed on Schedule 6 (Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981)

“Illuminating device” may include laser-type sighting devices

An illuminated reticle doesn't illuminate the target, only the reticle. A red dot sight has a red dot for a reticle, i.e. it is illuminated - it does not project a red dot to the target or illuminate the target. A laser shines a beam of light to the target which is visible on the target itself. It is very small, however, so the reason that lasers "may" be included as an "illuminating device" depends on the legal interpretation of "illuminating" as I doubt there is case law for precedence.

I never thought I would go for an illuminated reticle, especially a system as ugly as the Swarovski Z6i. But then I tried it and did! ;)

Last edited:
Well that means I cant shoot a deer in broad daylight if I decide to turn the illuminated dot on , which really doesnt make sense does it, also the idea of the illuminated dot is to make it easier to aquire a target...such as....in a the heavily wooded area I have shot it can be extremley hard to make out a fine cross hair even a few hours before dusk. I have to ask has anyone every been hauled before the law for using an illuminated scope?.....I doubt it as it isnt illuminating the deer.

illumination
the act of illuminating, or supplying with light; the state of being illuminated

I can say hand on heart my illuminated reticle never placed a deer in a state of illumination nor have I ever seen it supply any light....:D

Last edited:
My god !! are people on this site really saying they think its illegal to use an illuminated reticle on deer. They will be saying telescopic sights are unsporting next ! :eek:

Back