Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gunsmiths

hello all,
    just got the variation on my ticket for a moderator on my 6.55 x55.
    does anyone know of a proper gunsmith fairly locally to sussex that can
    thread it and fit an after market trigger such as the timney. also has anyone got any preferences for fullbore mods?

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire

Have a look through the 3 pages on the Equipment & Accessories Reviews on this Forum, lots of info regarding Moderators. Personal choice I suppose and how much you want to spend.

Have a look here, you could get a bargain!!

I know a chap that is near Tunbridge Wells. He does a lot of work for a bg local gun shop but he also does my work privately. PM me if you are interested and I will dig out his number.

Chris Potter always cuts 'em straight and favours 1/2" 28 UNEF. I have 2 Reflex T8's and they are brilliant moderators.

chris potters.... never again

My cousin and I went to potters and bought 2 x rifles and accessories value of over 1200. The shop would not throw in 100 .22 rf rounds. We had travelled a bit to get there and the staff didn't even make us a coffee.

When i go to John Carr, near Thorne. he always makes coffee and will, if i take it, give my rifle a once over with his borescope. Sadly Ben (taffbagger) lives in Robertsbridge so he can't get to Johns regularly! I wouldn't go back to potters ever. but i would travel the extra miles from my place, (not robertsbridge), to go to John Carrs.

Swampy, I am surprised at the service you got at Potters. You must have caught them on a very off day.
    I know most of them in there and always get a cuppa. I always get a good deal on everything i need as well. If you are ever tempted to go there again, let me know and I will come in with you. Will get you a free box of subs and a cuppa!!

Also have a word with East Grinstead Guns, they do a good job....

east grinstead guns

I know an experienced and very knowledgeable group member, uses east grinstead guns, his recommendation by patronnage would be my first choice

I was at the Eurosatory Defence show in Paris 2 weeks ago and got speaking to a lot of moderator manufacturers.

Most hunting moderators are designed around the .308 bullet. In most the 6.5 x 55 will have a problem as the moderator was never designed for the longer bullet. A one design fits all / just change the calibre philosophy.

Moderators that are designed for military/police use tend to have design variations that are specific to calibre.

I use 156gr bullets in my 6.5 x 55 and you know that when competotors all point at the ASE UTRA Jet Z Compact as the one for the calibre it means something.

Spoke with the manufacturer and this model in 6.5 x 55 has been designed to accomodate the longer bullet. Not so in their other models. All to do with timings between the gas expansion chambers as the bullet transits.

thanks very much for the replys chaps, and thats a very interesting point smullery about the longer 6.5s . ill have a look at the reviews for the compact .ta.