Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boar huntimg

Boar huntimg

Well i got a phone call today from a chap who,s uncle has one of the biggest Wild Boar shoots in france. The uncle was out stalking with me last year and caually mentioned that i should nip over and go Boar Hunting with him. Well the wife was ill and i thought he is just makeing small talk any way. I have been asked and there not takeing no for an answer. So here is the problem.I only have a 6.5 and its got a nice scope on it that i dont really want to take off. Can i hire a rifle for the week and if so what calibre would you take and should i practice. I did mention the 12 bore and sg,s the chap just laughed and said the big boar would run with them in em. So i have got a while to get ready but i want to get it right because it will prob be a one off.

If it's a one off, ask them to sort you out a suitable set-up to borrow!

I have seen 6.5 used on boar in europe with Trophy Bonded Bear Claw ammo, it seemed to do the trick

Do you think i could keep my set up as is i have a vari scope i can turn down to 3or 4 x

yes i think so. i had a scope set at about 2.5 most of the time on a 1-6 x 24. Others i was shooting with had vari scopes like 3-12 x 50 and managed ok.

6.5x55 is banned in France anyway as are all other military or ex military calibres.

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

If you take me with you I will let you use my 30.06.

Military or ex military calibres CAN be taken to France, a friend of mine regularly takes his 308 for Boar. You just cannot buy the mil cal ammo in France and i don't think thats really a problem as most would take their own.

I regularly shoot boar in France and can assure you that military calibres including .308 are most definitely banned.

6 pointer
    im really pleased for you that you have an invite to france to shoot some boar
    all the best for the trip and enjoy it .
    if your struggling for a rifle you can borrow the air rifle i just shot mine with
    just make sure you hit em between the eyes

regards pete .