Rifled slugs and things

Jagare

Following on from paul at barony's thread i was out shooting in the Aimpoint sight that i have mounted on my 870 remington. I use S&B slugs, now these slugs are of the Brenneke type. What you find is that they leave lead skid marks in the barrel. This leading is not easy to remove with a normal bronze brush so i have invested in a Lewis lead remover kit from Brownells, www.brownells.com Stock #516-102-001. I'm really impressed how effective this is on removing lead from the barrell.

The remington shoots slugs at 50 mtrs very well out of the 20" I/C choked barrel.
I will do a comparison between how the Remington with the slug barrel shoots compaired to the Combi and a normal O/U shotgun at a later date

Looking forward to reading your results Jagare as I'm thinking about getting some slugs for my combi and O/U.

Jagare I look forward to reading your results. I have tried Sellior& Bellot through my over and under using skeet and improved cylinder choke tubes and no sights at 30 metres, the accuracy has been very good indeed, probably around 1.5" for each barrel. Obviously due to divergence the two barrels printed two seperate groups a couple of inches apart but perfectly acceptable for reasonable ranges say up to say 40 metres, though I know that in a gun like this the recommended maximum range is normally 30m. If I were to shoot a lot of slugs through my gun I would consider putting some form of sighting system on it such as a red dot or Williams open sights that clamp to the rib. I would then expect it to make a very good short range boar gun though perhaps a bit long (28" barrels) but obviously not as good as a single barreled gun like your 870.

i have posted a pic of my pig slug gun on the members gallery if any one is intrested?

Bob

For removing stubborn fouling in shotguns I find the Payne Gallway type of brush much better than the standard phosphor brushes.

thumb-bronze-brush-payne-gallway-12.jpg

Regarding the accuracy, I found that quarter choke gave the best results using Gamebore Buffalo slugs through my Benelli M2, but obviously it will be different depending on the gun and the make of slug, so trial and error is the best way forward as with rifles!

Alex

This is my "bear" gun... equally good for about anything nasty at close range. The group is Federal 2 3/4" standard slugs with a 6 o'clock hold on the bull.~Muir
Bear Gun.jpg

Group

Slug Gun Groups, 25 yards.jpg

This is my "bear" gun... equally good for about anything nasty at close range. The group is Federal 2 3/4" standard slugs with a 6 o'clock hold on the bull.~Muir
View attachment 4502

Group

hi
back in the early 1970's i was visiting france and a hunting friend ask me to try an old SBS shotgun in 16 gauge side lever or under lever(i can't recall exactly) with a kind brenneke like french made slugs.
the target was at 30 meters range .he told me i am going to be surprised by result. the gun was very well balanced and light with i guess 70 cm long barrel and choke was probabely ½ in right barrel and full in the left barrel, because they have used it for bird hunting even ducks!!.
i fired two rapid shots and when i checked the target . it was two side by side holes!!in the target exact where i had pointed the shotgun at. i did that a couple of more times with same result!!when i see your pictures i remember that event. i don't know how the gunmaker had regulated that shotgun, but it was amazing!.
cheers
daniel

Paydar, that side by side shotgun, might have been a Manufrance Idéal. This was a very light under lever gun, with both triggers being in a separate triggerguard. I had a 12 bore, very very light.

Maybe 10/15 years ago we did a test with several guns and RWS and FN slugs, loaded with Original Brennekes. The ribs on the slugs are made of softer lead to be able to fire them though any choke without any danger. Chopper lump barrels in general are the worst for accuracy with slugs. 4 Beretta's ( 2x12b and 2x20b) where the best. 4 shots at 40m ( 2 through each barrel) with all 4 guns gave an accuracy in between 2 and 3 inch. This with pheasant guns ( only a front sight).

smut . i think you are right . it was a french made shotgun surely from st- etienne. it is sad that newly made shotguns are not made with same nice regulation of barrels as they were made in pre.ww time.the owner of that shotgun told me that the gun was regulated to shoot at same POI at 30 meter. i don't know if was done at factory or later by a gun-smith!!
even though i don't use shotgun for hunting , but it is nice to have a shotgun that can shoot rifled slugs with good precision. there are plenty of bears in sweden and it is good to have some brenneke in pocket in case meeting a hungry bear!
yes brenneke is the brand that shoots best in my austrian made 20g/222 rem combo and goes much deeper than foster slugs.

Last edited:
Daniel: I enjoyed your post as it reminded ME that the double gun was in the vault waiting to be shot! I built a few of these guns for the local indian tribe for buffalo culling using Remington 788 sights, close coupled for fast, close shooting. They liked them so much i built one for myself from an old Savage-Fox shotgun that someone had chopped for a defense gun. I mounted the sights, aligned them via bore sighting, and then proceeded to shoot tiny groups using about any brand of slug. I keep it around because of it's remarkable accuracy and the off chance I will need it someday.~Muir

Daniel: I enjoyed your post as it reminded ME that the double gun was in the vault waiting to be shot! I built a few of these guns for the local indian tribe for buffalo culling using Remington 788 sights, close coupled for fast, close shooting. They liked them so much i built one for myself from an old Savage-Fox shotgun that someone had chopped for a defense gun. I mounted the sights, aligned them via bore sighting, and then proceeded to shoot tiny groups using about any brand of slug. I keep it around because of it's remarkable accuracy and the off chance I will need it someday.~Muir

it is all about the barrel regulation and good sight on a double shotgun and the rest is only theory abut hunting;)!
a one ounce+ .700 inch slug@1300 fps+ has a lot of killing power att close range! naturally the very soft pure lead foster slugs have given some bad reputation to the shotgun.
in early 1900s there was an especial brenneke loading for the big 5s:eek: sold to the african settlers . it was loaded to higher velocity to meet energy requirement for big 5s!!at that time poor settlers were not able to afford many guns or high power rifles . they used their double shotgun for every kind of hunting!!
I blieve the british settlers too have used paradox bore guns for almost every kinds of beast in afica too!
that german brenneke round was called STAHLKAP and slug was heavier than average maybe1½ ounce and the tip was covered by a steel sheet for deep penetration in beasts like african buffalou.:eek:

Last edited:
Daniel, the "Original Brenneke" are in my opinion by far the best. On average they give the best accuracy and DEVA ( german gun proofing institute ) say that due to the soft lead ribs they give less pressure on the choke than a cartridge with traditional lead shot.
A friend who has a Chapuis o/u express rifle in 8x57JRS still uses a lot his 20B Beretta with slugs. The sauvestre are certainly flatter shooting but the Brenneke's shoot better groups.

After testing 4 Beretta's I can assure you that they shoot Brennekes pretty well. The impact of the Brenneke is more likely the centre of the shotstring. So there is no secret why they do so well in all major competitions.

Daniel, the "Original Brenneke" are in my opinion by far the best. On average they give the best accuracy and DEVA ( german gun proofing institute ) say that due to the soft lead ribs they give less pressure on the choke than a cartridge with traditional lead shot.
A friend who has a Chapuis o/u express rifle in 8x57JRS still uses a lot his 20B Beretta with slugs. The sauvestre are certainly flatter shooting but the Brenneke's shoot better groups.

After testing 4 Beretta's I can assure you that they shoot Brennekes pretty well. The impact of the Brenneke is more likely the centre of the shotstring. So there is no secret why they do so well in all major competitions.
i have tested both brenneke and remington foster and even sauvstre slugs in my combination gun. brenneks is shooting with more regularity and good penetration too.
the sauvstre is shooting 5-6 inches to the right!!! but has very good penetration it is zipping thru my test media(soaked and dry papper) all the time and actually groups well too, but it hits far to the right :(

Back