Few question re Calibre and ammo!

TGEvans

Hi guys, been reading through the forum but still need a bit more clarification on a few little details please! Firstly, I am liking the idea of a .308 over a .243 for a few reasons. Mainly as it will be able to cover me on bigger species and Boar when I get round to it. But would a .308 cause too much meat damage to the smaller Deer species? Secondly, what are you guys paying for .243 and .308 rounds? Reloading costs would also be useful too guys if that is ok? Obviously in a pefect world I would like to own a few different set ups but money and space are issues at the moment (Renovating the house). Hope you guys can help before I add to my firearms certificate. Thanks, Tim.

.308's a great for the bigger species, to heavy for the smaller species though. The .243 is a great calibre and a true all rounder although, and I will be the first to admit it and I am a huge .243 fan see, the .243 can (but not allways) lack punch on Sika and Red Stags in the rutt for instance, Sika's are tough nuts anyhow). If you are just starting out and planning being like myself a recreational stalker shooting the odd deer, then stick with the .243 and in years to come when you want to travel or just get round to it you could also get a .308? I have had a .243 for 10 years now and its done me fine... Apply for the .308 too...

I have both, had the 243 first, If I was only to have one it would be the .308 it seams to kill the animals a bit more convincingly on balance. reloading costs is 60p per round or there abouts. If you can get Privi to shoot inch or less in your rifle you are probably cheaper going with that.

What ever you go for good luck.

Dave

I recently worked out that my reloading for the 308 was costing me about 80p for the Hornady spire points or about £1.15 if I load Nosler Partitions. The last box of factory ammo I bought was a while ago and it cost me about £19 for Federal power shock stuff - it shoots really well in my rifle. I can also get mil surplus 308 (well 7.62 to be correct) ammo at about 50p a round for practise.

My 150 grain 308 home loads are giving me a measured 3000fps with lots of loadings on the cases, good accuracy and no pressure signs. I shot my first deer with a 243 and it works just fine and it is a case of taking your pick and getting what you like but I always think that at realistic stalking ranges it is possible to load the 308 down to behave much like a 243 but it is not possible to load the 243 up to 308 performance. Either way I don't think you will be disappointed.

Go for the .308 it will do everything the .243 will do and loading cost will not be much different between the two,don't worry about meat damage i've found my 30.06 far better on roe than my .243, puts them down better far more predictable exits with much less bruising, .308 wil be the same.

Go for the .308 it will do everything the .243 will do and loading cost will not be much different between the two,don't worry about meat damage i've found my 30.06 far better on roe than my .243, puts them down better far more predictable exits with much less bruising, .308 wil be the same.

Another vote for the .308 for reasons above.

+1 for the .308 as regards damage, especially if you reload for it. just use a heavier bullet going a bit slower.I have only shot a handful of muntjac but less damage with .308 than I got with 22-250.
Nick

Another vote for the .308 for reasons above.

+1 for the .308 as regards damage, especially if you reload for it. just use a heavier bullet going a bit slower.I have only shot a handful of muntjac but less damage with .308 than I got with 22-250.
Nick

Another .308 vote here. I have seen more meat damage from fast calibres like the .243 than I ever have from bigger slower calibres.

This is with the caveat that your FEO will let you have such a calibre as your first rifle with fox on your FAC too. I was only allowed a 6.5x55 for deer and fox when I first applied, I was not allowed the .308 I asked for.

Nearly everywhere I shoot, apart from one golf course and one farm, I am asked to shoot the foxes if I see them! To retain the stalking this is exactly what I do, if there is a choice between a fox or a deer, I nail the fox every time.

Regards, Simon

Edit; As for ammo, PPU Privi Partizan at £58.90/100 if you buy new stock, I got some old at £55.50/100. Reloading is not cost effective at these prices, only accuracy and self enjoyment make it worth while. My reloads work out at about 80 pence a round.

Last edited:
Go 308,it will take any thing from deer to pig and not a lot of meat damage. If you go 243 you will need some thing bigger for reds and pigs . One gun for everything 308

I think most meat damage comes from pushing light bullets too fast. A 165gr in the .308 like the Nosler Partition would give you an excellent all-round load for roe, reds and boar pushed at good middle of the road velocities that are easily sufficient for shooting out to 300yds if you know your trajectory and range.

I have shot quite a few roe now with the Ruag Blaser CDP 165 partition doing 2570fps and it puts the animals down hard and there is almost no damage in comparison to 95 grain noslers doing 3200fps out of my .243.

Dave

I had a 243 for years and found they knocked muntjac about quite alot also it was not man enough for sika , i use a 30.06 now and dont get the meat damage i did . If your shooting alot of foxes and the odd deer go 243 but if your mainly deer and the odd fox 308

Hi TGEvans

I have both .243 & .308, I had to reluctantly accept the .243 because the Metropolitan Police wouldn't let me have the .308 as a first rifle in the UK.....

The .243 now mainly gathers dust in the rifle safe and I rarely take it out other than for maintenance cleans. The .308 is now my go-to rifle whether for CWD, munties, roe,, fallow sika or reds. It's neither too much nor too little gun for owt in the UK.

If you can chose, go for the .308.

As for meat damage, I find that the .308 jellies a lot less meat than the .243 but that could have as much to do with bullet construction etc than just being a simple relatioship to calibre.

Whatever you go for, best of luck
ATB
Geoshot

Thanks loads chaps! .308 it is then. It was what I was leaning to really but made my mind up on it now. Now to choose the rifle.......I cant wait to get into learning the intricacies of bullet loads and trajectories either. Seriously well impressed with the comments and replies on this site. I use other forums for many different topics but this site really seems the nicest. Right, off to do some homework on a rifle. See you in my next question chaps! Tim.

Back