Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type moderator

What type moderator

Hi Guys new to rifles etc can anyone tell me what type of moderator this is and can it be cleaned,no names or marks on it when i look down it i can see the baffles.
    Also i have a Rem 700 light varmint .223 s/stock fluted barrel,there was a chap on here selling a stock but he said it was a short action bdl stock i have been told in the past these wont fit,what am i lookin for?,and one last question my guns threaded 1/2" what mods and whats 1/2" uf i see thanks and sorry for being such a noob,hope i got the spelling right there LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF3177.jpg   DSCF3175.jpg  
    Last edited by blueeyes; 23-01-2011 at 15:22.

No idea what mod that is, it is quite large compared to newer moderators which can be around 7" long and possibly lighter.

Threads, if one refers to 1/2" thread for moderators, then one mostly means 1/2"x 20tpi (UNF). In some cases especially
    if one needs a thread on a thin barrelled 30cal one would use a 1/2" x28tpi UNEF. Think Browning use them at times.

Remmy stocks.
    I think your rifle has the ADL configuration, no drop plate, meaning you have to unload the cartridges from the top, right?
    Other Remington 700 versions have either a drop plate BDL or magazine bottom metal. They would use BDL type stocks.
    You could quite easily find a bottom metal from a gunsmith and convert your ADL to a BDL with the other stock.
    Maybe BDL's are a bit safer as one can drop the cartridges out the bottom after the hunt.
    Last edited by ejg; 23-01-2011 at 17:53.

Thanks for the input so mine is an ADL what about action short and long whats the difference and would the stocks be different thanks

Short action Remingtons can take cartridges up to 2.8" COL (cart overall length) so 222, 223, 22-250, 243, 260, 7-08,308, fed 338 and a few others.
    The long actions are about 1/2" longer and have a longer magazine well to take longer cartridges such as 30-06, 300 win mag and so on.
    Action screws have a different footprint and the stocks between long and short action differ.
    Last edited by ejg; 23-01-2011 at 21:03.

So am i right and thinking mine is a short action as it is .223 and any Moderator 1/2"(unf) will fit what is the best size to go for thanks
    Last edited by blueeyes; 24-01-2011 at 07:59.

yes, you have a short action, and most likely a 1/2"x20 UNF thread on the barrel that
    will take a moderator that is made for a 223 rem or larger rifle with a 1/2" x20 thread.
    Do not stick on a moderator made for a 22lr...even if the thread fits.

Thanks for the info much app,one last thing lol clean the bore or not,and the bolt i have some silicon oil was thinking in giving it a light rub thanks

it looks like a sako .22lr mod to me i used to have one a while should have a one piece plastic molded baffle inside.

Hope not got it on my .223 and was sold by a gun dealer lol

it does look like an end fitting mod,and the exit hole does look like its bulging outward possibly off a bullet strike! ide go for a t8 etc,over barrel type.all you need to do is have the bush machined to fit your rifle and your good to go!!