What type moderator

blueeyes

Hi Guys new to rifles etc can anyone tell me what type of moderator this is and can it be cleaned,no names or marks on it when i look down it i can see the baffles.
Also i have a Rem 700 light varmint .223 s/stock fluted barrel,there was a chap on here selling a stock but he said it was a short action bdl stock i have been told in the past these wont fit,what am i lookin for?,and one last question my guns threaded 1/2" what mods and whats 1/2" uf i see thanks and sorry for being such a noob,hope i got the spelling right there LOL

Attachments

• DSCF3175.jpg
    DSCF3175.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF3177.jpg
    DSCF3177.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
No idea what mod that is, it is quite large compared to newer moderators which can be around 7" long and possibly lighter.

Threads, if one refers to 1/2" thread for moderators, then one mostly means 1/2"x 20tpi (UNF). In some cases especially
if one needs a thread on a thin barrelled 30cal one would use a 1/2" x28tpi UNEF. Think Browning use them at times.

Remmy stocks.
I think your rifle has the ADL configuration, no drop plate, meaning you have to unload the cartridges from the top, right?
Other Remington 700 versions have either a drop plate BDL or magazine bottom metal. They would use BDL type stocks.
You could quite easily find a bottom metal from a gunsmith and convert your ADL to a BDL with the other stock.
Maybe BDL's are a bit safer as one can drop the cartridges out the bottom after the hunt.
edi

Last edited:
Thanks for the input so mine is an ADL what about action short and long whats the difference and would the stocks be different thanks

Short action Remingtons can take cartridges up to 2.8" COL (cart overall length) so 222, 223, 22-250, 243, 260, 7-08,308, fed 338 and a few others.
The long actions are about 1/2" longer and have a longer magazine well to take longer cartridges such as 30-06, 300 win mag and so on.
Action screws have a different footprint and the stocks between long and short action differ.
edi

Last edited:
So am i right and thinking mine is a short action as it is .223 and any Moderator 1/2"(unf) will fit what is the best size to go for thanks

Last edited:
Blueeyes,
yes, you have a short action, and most likely a 1/2"x20 UNF thread on the barrel that
will take a moderator that is made for a 223 rem or larger rifle with a 1/2" x20 thread.
Do not stick on a moderator made for a 22lr...even if the thread fits.
edi

Thanks for the info much app,one last thing lol clean the bore or not,and the bolt i have some silicon oil was thinking in giving it a light rub thanks

it looks like a sako .22lr mod to me i used to have one a while back....it should have a one piece plastic molded baffle inside.

it does look like an end fitting mod,and the exit hole does look like its bulging outward possibly off a bullet strike! ide go for a t8 etc,over barrel type.all you need to do is have the bush machined to fit your rifle and your good to go!!

yea i noticed that bump cant remember if it was there before i bought it s/hand guess il have to look out for a mod ,barrel clean or not ? rub of silicon oil on bolt lugs or not,cheers

Just had a good look at it its not a bump as such but a circular scratch,measured the exit hole its 10mm so hopefully ok

Hi Guys new to rifles etc can anyone tell me what type of moderator this is and can it be cleaned,no names or marks on it when i look down it i can see the baffles.

Blue eyes

It looks like a JLS stalker MK1 moderator to me, it should have a one piece baffle stack inside yes you should be able to strip it to clean it.

ATB

Tahr

Last edited:
looks like my old vaime/vaimeco as well similar size anyway,made rifle feel like i was carrying a length of downpipe about!

I agree that it looks like a JLS stalker I had one on my 222 until I swapped it for a 3rd eye Spartan it wasn't a bad moderator I just wanted an over barrel one. If you intend to buy a new one I can recommend the Spartan it is a cracking mod that goes over the barrel by 3" they are very well made and I use one on my 222 and 25-06. (I have no link to the maker of these mods)

spartan

Rick

Back