New Video - Advanced Marksmanship (Head Shooting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The video appears to be marked private, requiring permission to view it. If I send you my Vimeo details can I access it?

Cheers,

YT

Hi Mike,

Another cracking video mate :thumb:

Your really getting the hang of it now :lol::p:lol:

Regards

Ads

We've seen most of these before even more interesting slowed down !

Hope your keeping well Mike + Dave !

good shot - RELOAD....

what calibres were being used?

Hi Gary, we were using a variety of calibres but mainly .243, .25-06 & .30-06. The rounds were specially developed by Mike Norris (Brock & Norris Custom Rifles) so that in most cases the frangible bullets didn't exit the head. If you contact Mike Norris, I am sure he will give you the spec on them.

Hope that helps,

Regards

Mike
(Director-Jelen Deer Services) Jelen Deer Services

Hi Mike,

Good video mate. Brings back memories of that wonderful liver & onions I had that night!
See you soon

Atb

Paul

Hi Mike,

Another cracking vid! I must say the chap in the realtree lifting the stag into the back of the pick up is an ugly bugger!!! From the back of his head anyway!!! lol!

See you soon mate

ATB
Rob

P.S. Nice hat Donovan! :D

Last edited:
Not a very good advert for safe shooting the first two shots had no backstop whatsoever:eek::doh:

Then there at least one shot that blows out the side of the neck the way the deer drops it look like it will need a coup de grace if not a second shot.

It does look like the shooters in the video need some basic marksmanship training, starting with what a backstop is, followed by shot placement.

Have you guys ever thought of going on a BASC or BDS DSC1:D:D

This site has now turned into the Jelen Shooting Show.
I know it is needed and have done my share but I did not enjoy it and would certainly not have made a video of it for others titilation.

I know that the management of farm deer is a fact of life, and that culling like this is far more humane than being carted off to an abattoir somewhere, but I cannot see it's connection with stalking as it is understood in the broad term. I know that there is always, and justifiably so, the argument that stalking skills are an absolute must to get close enough to achieve the cull, but then we come on to the matter of shot placement. Head shots are by and large frowned upon in general stalking as not being desirable or acceptable, but here are examples of it extolling the skills of the marksmen. Now good marksmen are needed to perform such park culls and I have no doubt that the welfare of the deer is the main consideration of the people undertaking the cull, but something is missing.

We as stalkers know that very few deer are taken by very few stalkers in this manner, and it is not stalking in the generally accepted meaning of the word in the great scheme of things. However to the uninitiated viewing the video it does IMHO portray stalkers in entirely the wrong way, what this video shows to me is the business side of an aspect of deer management that really does not need to be aired like this. It's a bit like having a video of a slaughterhouse killing cattle but done in a more humane way. Plus, the first thing that needed shooting was the machine responsible for playing that music.

I shall now duck down to avoid incoming head shots.

John

I have to agree with everything you have said John.
Of course these type of videos never show the shots where things have gone wrong.
Cheers
Richard

JAYB,

In principle, I wholly agree with you; however, I do think in practice, from what I have seen at least, that the line determining what "belongs" on a stalking site is blurry. As you mention, this is not an accurate depiction of what stalking is, per se. With that being said, the description of the video the operational phrase was "humanely field slaughtered." If the video was listed as "A Stalking How-To Guide", I would fully agree with you, however, I do not believe this was the original intent of the OP and the video. Markmanship videos are very much privvy to a publication bias in which only the positive results are posted, in the absence of negative results (save for the brave souls who post them on SD - see the recent Head Shot Gone Wrong thread.) As for the place of this video on a public stalking forum, such as this, given that there are sub-forums for Wild Boar and Other Forms of Shooting, there are many areas of the forum in which strict deer stalking topics are not discussed. As such, this video may well be better suited to being categorized in a Deer Management or Deer Park sub-forum. Granted, this is just my humble two cents.

Cheers,

YT

looks like a delinquent teenager produced this video,and even has the music to suit!!..i don't think it belongs on a deer stalking site such as this:eek:

my bosses wife just saw me watching the video, she walked behind me a 1:23 through the video. i am now officially the office sick deer murdering barstard - head down this afternoon i think!

Not a very good advert for safe shooting the first two shots had no backstop whatsoever:eek::doh:

Then there at least one shot that blows out the side of the neck the way the deer drops it look like it will need a coup de grace if not a second shot.

It does look like the shooters in the video need some basic marksmanship training, starting with what a backstop is, followed by shot placement.

Have you guys ever thought of going on a BASC or BDS DSC1:D:D

Hi Cam,

Reckon you jumped the gun a little there mate:rolleyes:, the first two deer had perfect backstops. The 1st an 8 ft steep bank behind on which the gorse is growing, and the second a 200m bank of rising ground! But as you weren't there then you wouldn't know, would you! ........ And as far as shot placement is concerned, then that just illustrates your apparent inexperience in this field.

If you don't like this sort of thing, then simple! ...... Don't watch it! The warning of what to expect was clear enough!

Have you ever thought of coming on one of our courses? ..... You'd probably learn a lot from it! :lol::lol:

Regards

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back