Big boar and slugs

nell

Sugs seem to be quite topical at the moment, although i have been ona few driven boar trips and have seen pigs that have been taken successfully with slugs, none of them have been very large.

On atrip abroad last year i was suprised when a ex pat /very experienced boar hunter told me that he believed that slugs should be banned, as he had seen several slugs dug out of the shoulders of Big Kielers that had lived to tell the tale.

Has anybody else experienced this or heard of it happening

The slug probably went through a tree first and then into the beast. Those boar he was after must have been damn tough if a slug only got stuck in the shoulder!

Nell, the ex pat you were talking to how does he know how the slugs got into the large boar. Were the boar shot at by local hunters, shot at long range?
Here's my take on slugs for boar. If i was going on a driven hoofed game drive i would use my rifle. If i was sitting out for boar from a high seat i would use my rifle. Some countries only allow shotguns with slugs for boar hunting. I would have no problen with using my slug gun but would keep the range to max 50mtrs.
I use my slug gun when working my Kopov. Then the cover is thick and visability is short.
The slug gun is much easier to carry all day than my rifle. I would have no hesitation to shoot slug at a big boar when it is up close and personal. I would not be shooting of slugs at any boar at 100mtrs on the off chance it might kill the boar
The slug gun really comes in to its own when you are tracking wounded game. If you are tracking a wounded roe you can use # 1s or a slug for fallow , boar or red.
In the UK you won't be useing rifled barrels on a semi auto or a pump so your limited really to brenneke type slugs. so the 50 mtr limit should apply.

The slug gun really comes in to its own when you are tracking wounded game. If you are tracking a wounded roe you can use # 1s or a slug for fallow , boar or red.
In the UK you won't be useing rifled barrels on a semi auto or a pump so your limited really to brenneke type slugs. so the 50 mtr limit should apply.

Agree :thumb:

Maybe it was one of these that the OP mentioned being found under the Kieler's skin? ;)

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/special-shotgun-shells.php?product=15&view=all

Nell, the ex pat you were talking to how does he know how the slugs got into the large boar. Were the boar shot at by local hunters, shot at long range?
Here's my take on slugs for boar. If i was going on a driven hoofed game drive i would use my rifle. If i was sitting out for boar from a high seat i would use my rifle. Some countries only allow shotguns with slugs for boar hunting. I would have no problen with using my slug gun but would keep the range to max 50mtrs.
I use my slug gun when working my Kopov. Then the cover is thick and visability is short.
The slug gun is much easier to carry all day than my rifle. I would have no hesitation to shoot slug at a big boar when it is up close and personal. I would not be shooting of slugs at any boar at 100mtrs on the off chance it might kill the boar

Jagare, cant comment on how the slug or slugs got there as he never said,i was supprised by the comment,that was the reason for my original post to see if anybody else had any experience of this happeninig.....

Nell

The police round here seem to have problems shooting escaped cattle with slugs, dont know why but a large proportion of them seem to take mutiple shots to put down. This may be due to ineptitude but the projectile may also have a bearing as the sectional density and therefore capacity to penetrate is low.

I have just found a quote on shotgun slugs that some may find interesting form

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

Shotgun slug loads intended to be fired from smooth bore barrels manage to combine the worst properties of any hunting projectile: marginal accuracy, low velocity, low sectional density, low ballistic coefficient, rainbow trajectory, and heavy recoil. Nearly the worst of all possible worlds! If you can legally hunt with a rifle, you owe it to both yourself and your quarry to do so. If not, but the law allows the use of fully rifled "shotgun" barrels and saboted projectiles, that is what you should use.

Kind of makes sense to me!!

Nothing wrong with Brenneke slugs as long as you use then within there limitations. But that go's for all weapons and ammo.

I recovered several lee slugs out of a very big log at the weekend. They went an average of 10 inches in :eek:. That's going to nip a bit if when it's on the money and to be fair that's going to go right through a boar under 50m.

Back