In the bag not!!

6pointer

Took chap out this morning and it was a good start we got to within 250 m of a group of three roe .We tried to move closer but they were getting the sence something was not quite right so as they were feeding towards us and there was no reason to rush i was having a wee chat then bang! (what the f ) deer missed!!! and away what a long trip for a un nessasary rush shot.

Video

Last edited:
No mate and that would have been one expencive aw stalk ha ha still big learn for that chap and me. So come on lads calm down and be realistic about your capabilitys ps the chap was on stick,s

you have to be so careful when out with a novice and watch their every move, nerves get the better of some.
well as you say lesson learned. could have been a lot worse as too could it have been better with a doe in the bag.

you should have put it up as a poll of would you take the shot or not.
i bet it would be a 50/50 with me personally airing on the side of caution.
up hill from camera angle and no great back stop.. best left till next time.

f

Sticks at 250m, That's shocking!!!!

I'd take a bipod shot if I knew the hold over/bullet drop at 250m but off sticks!!!!!! I assume his ear is well and trully bent for taking the shot.

Lesson learnt I suppose.

TJ

it looks like it might be a front leg, if you watch in full size it looks like the right leg flaps around but is hard to say

I didn't realise it was a video either, if you manage to pause it at 7 seconds, when it's in full flight and off the ground, it does look like the front leg has been hit. While it is running, it does appear to bend in an upward direction indicating it's been hit.......

When are you back on the ground? You are very good with knowing where your deer are, hopefully you'll be able to locate and confirm and dispatch if neccessary.

TJ

Last edited:
6pointer

When I look at the vid it appears your man clipped the front right leg?

hi having seen the video as i did think this was stills i would have to say i agree that it looks like a strike.
was there any signs of a hit. the deer seems to react to shot rather than a ground strike or crack/thud.
definite kick out and pins seem to raise up from strike.
obviously only got the video picture to see what happened in its view.
what happened when it ran away.

f.

Both front legs appear to be in line on shot so don't believe that right front has been hit. I think that shot can be seen striking ground above shoulder before the deer runs. Looking very closely the front leg that appears to flap appears to me to be a back leg swing round on the turn.

Last edited:
It's a weird one for sure, everyone seems right :) Like Gazza says, you would think the left leg would be damaged as well but i have to say i think the right leg doesn't behave normally and looks to be broken.

Looking at the video id say the shot clipped its back and it does appear to run of with a wobbly leg this could be due to a spine shot as the bullet does not appear to strike a leg ! so id possibly say spine damage it may live or may die later could you see what happened out of site of the camera did it drop or run of into the distance ?
As for the shot i always shoot of sticks and it did not look out of range to me !

Last edited:
Looking at the video quite a few times, I am of the opinion that it looks like a high back shot. I do not think the legs have been struck.

This deer has been limping for a few weeks looks like a front shoulder pulled dont know the cause but if you watch the first vid you might see it limp. But let me assure you she could move on it and still can.

Hello 6pointer

Looking again at the first video you can see something wrong with that front leg its hard to see on video but it looks very bendy and loose hanging !!
However on the second video the shot does look to strike the deers back keep us posted on the out come if you catch up with the same deer again

Nigel

Back