Northern Police/inverness

Conor1

What a great Firearms Licensing Dept! Last year they turned around my Visitors Annual Firearms and Shotgun Permits in 10 days; this year, they did it in 8. They sent me an email stating that they received my application from my sponsor and would deal with it asap. They granted me all that I asked for; they also informed me that they would grant me all the rifles that are on my EU Firearms Pass (quite a few)

And polite as you like on the phone!

I think the northern Scottish constabularies are great. Northern and Grampian seem to have a very good grasp that to many people a rifle/shotgun are tools of a skilled mans trade and not flipant toys as other areas seem to regard them. Grampian hustled an add-on and Euro Pass for me in 5 working days.
Both of the above constabularies have very polite efficient staff, the home visits on renewal are something to look forward to rather than dread.
I think that the cocks on the top of the roost in some southern constabularies are anti or ignorant of the place for enviromental management and the mental disipline involved in recreational shooting and force their own bigoted views on the usually fine people who work for them.

It would appear that the Scottish Constabularies could give lessons in how to run a firearms licensing department. I find it hard to believe that I, as a visitor can be dealt with so efficiently and politely unlike some UK citizens who have to wait months, sometimes the best part of a year, for a variation................

south Yorkshire police do take there time,over 3 month for a variation,Lothian and Borders police were better around 1 month for a variation.
Grampian police took 5 days for a variation and that was from time of posting till it can through my letter box.

well sorry to burst your buble but ive been waiting since november for my renewal and variation and so far all ive gotten from them is a fotocoppy of my exspired fac as i was concerned about posibly being required to produce one if stoped by police.

Sorry to hear about that. I suppose there is always an exception. My experiences have only been good. Timely, efficient and polite. I hope your situation is resolved soon!

well it must depend on your local station, as my last renewal took about 3 months during this time it had obviously expired and 3 guys i work with were also like this. [Aviemore by the way]

I re-applied in November as I knew that there was a long backlog of licenses to be seen-to.
Our local Bobby visited just over a week ago in order to check the premises - which was fair enough - and informed me that my cheque to them had bounced. (Change of banks in the interim period before the licensing office got going with my paperwork).

Now that has been sorted and I await my certificate - a patience job.

They have always been very good.

to be fair this is the first time ive had bother and then all the bad weather didnt help so as you say its a waiting game.

They are usally very quick in Northern but the last wee while coincides with a big 5 year renewal cycle hence the delay......or so I'm told

Yes Northern are very good to deal with. Any problems you can just give them a call and they always have time to deal with you and nothing is ever too much for them to deal with swiftly. :thumb:

aye laddie,nae worries the end of the season looms,so the rifle will have to gather stoor in the cabinet,stroll on,. then the girls will all be safe,an can bide on the bottom o the glens,an no git hounded out the tops.!!

Back