doe with antler

apollo

Hi,
Had a call yesterday off an austrian chap we shoot for over in the cotswolds, he said where was we as he had a roe doe under his pear trees with an antler as long as her ears and could we go get it, we were too far away as this was 4.00pm last evening, so my next question is would you shoot this if its not part of the cull plan as its still in velvet and if shooting as a trophy wouldnt be the same really.
Any thoughts on this...

Hi,
Had a call yesterday off an austrian chap we shoot for over in the cotswolds, he said where was we as he had a roe doe under his pear trees with an antler as long as her ears and could we go get it, we were too far away as this was 4.00pm last evening, so my next question is would you shoot this if its not part of the cull plan as its still in velvet and if shooting as a trophy wouldnt be the same really.
Any thoughts on this...

To right I would I wouldnt hesitate:)

Definately shoot it, if it is indeed a doe with an antler a) its obviously got something wrong with it to cause a testosterone inbalance, thus falls into any cull plan - i.e. injured or diseased and b) doe's with antlers are like rocking horse sh*t, you probably won't ever get chance to shoot another.

Tom

Are you sayin you would wait for it to be out of velvet, if you wait that long it may be out of season. what cull plan, do you have one, this is probably a non breeding doe, so may as well be culled.

No i wouldnt wait till its out of velvet just saying its not worth shooting as a trophy in velvet as not sure how it would hold up to being mounted in velvet, sorry for confusion and as we have taken what we wanted off this patch it wasnt seen there before so didnt fall into the plan but if its coming under the catergeary of diseased ill see what can be done, unless its come from next door as they dont allow shooting then it may of gone back by monday, will get supporting pics if we find it

No i wouldnt wait till its out of velvet just saying its not worth shooting as a trophy in velvet as not sure how it would hold up to being mounted in velvet, sorry for confusion and as we have taken what we wanted off this patch it wasnt seen there before so didnt fall into the plan but if its coming under the catergeary of diseased ill see what can be done, unless its come from next door as they dont allow shooting then it may of gone back by monday, will get supporting pics if we find it

Hi Apollo,

I shot a roe doe with antlers in 2008, it only had what appeared to be buttons where the pedicles would be. Have a look at my gallery there are some photo's of the doe on there. She was barren so seemed like was no longer capable of breeding.

My opinion would be it is worth culling as she is probably quite old and will not be dropping any more young later in the year. If you do manage to shoot it, would be very interested to see if she was carrying young or not?

Cheers

Ross

Hi Apollo,

I shot a roe doe with antlers in 2008, it only had what appeared to be buttons where the pedicles would be. Have a look at my gallery there are some photo's of the doe on there. She was barren so seemed like was no longer capable of breeding.

My opinion would be it is worth culling as she is probably quite old and will not be dropping any more young later in the year. If you do manage to shoot it, would be very interested to see if she was carrying young or not?

Cheers

Ross

I have an antlered doe on my ground who had a buck kid with her from last season. I'm not saying don't shoot her but also don't write her off as not capable of breeding, they can and do. Mine has a single antler that stands level with the top of her ears. she may still go as the cull has only just started on that area.

hi,

personally, but heh i like to be different, no.
the so called imbalance of hormones may well be just down to old age.
if she is in good condition let her be.
she has earned the right of passage if she is an old animal to see her life out.

if she is ill or looks ill welfare takes over and dispatch
for what its worth she may not go to hard antler and she may not cast either.
you could be waiting a long while.

f.

if you want to make it into a mount soak the velvet antler in formaldehyde then wrap it in silver foil before boiling the skull or just pop it in the freezer till you can get it to a
taxidermist they will know what to do

It can be treated to last as a trophy and if it were me it would be in the freezer if there not perfect get them on the ground make space for a really good young doe who will bring in goods bucks.;)

I shot an antlered doe a few years back and she was carrying twins !!!

Theres a pic of her in my gallery ....

I was a game butcher for a few years and came across a roe deer doe with antlers or it could have been a roe buck with female genitalia...either or the shooter fetched the internals and on inspection the vagina ended at the cervix with no uterus, falopian tubes or ovaries..there also appeared to be small under developed testicles which were also inside.....hermaphroditism?

Just wondering if deer twins can suffer from the same problems that cattle twins suffer from..Cattle twins if a male and female normally results in the female being non reproductive, as the male calf develops faster in the uterus, testosterone is produced by the male fetus which inhibits the growth of the females reproductive organs..just a thought ..Regards Lee

Last edited:
Back