Damson Vodka

Hi All,
Was given a bottle of bog standard whisky a few years ago, which I tasted and left the rest. Decided to try ginger whisky. A couple of ounces of shredded fresh ginger, half a pound of caster sugar. Shake when you pass by for a couple of weeks and leave over winter (not necessary to leave). Tried the other evening and added some lemonade to make into a long drink. Fantast.

Been making sloe gin in its basic form for some time now, threw 1/2 lb of blackberry into the mix last year. This was a hit on shoot days just didn't last the season.
1lb sloe
1lb sugar
1/2lb blackberry
1 litre gin
Simples
Wingy

hello all i thought i would share with you my damson vodka recipie.
last year I made my usual amount of Sloe gin and due to an abundance of damson's I made a decent amount of Damson Vodka. I like Sloe Gin but the Damson vodka beats it hands down this is the rustic recipe used for mine.

ingredients
1/ one clean demijohn
2/ 5 lbs of ripe Damson's
3/ 2 bottles of supermarket vodka
4/ 1 bottle red wine
5/ sugar

how I made mine

Put 2" of sugar in bottom of demijohn then add the damson's until demijohn is 3/4 full (squeeze out stone in damson's when adding ) add the two bottles of vodka and one of red wine , place bung/stopper in demijohn and shake for 5 minuets.

shake every day for 1 minuet for 1st week,then once a week for next 5 week,remove out liquid and pulp I used a stainless steel sieve over a large pot as once the sieve clogs is a slow process of dripping through. (keep the pulp) once it was all sieved I again passed it through a finer filter(old pillow case) and it came out with no bits and clear.

I have used the damson pulp ( it tastes outstanding) to add make damson & apple crumble and add to ice cream, as for the Damson vodka it turns a stunning deep burgondy/red colour, to drink its outstanding on its own but very good with a good double measure poured over some ice topped up with either tonic or lemonade a very refreshing tasty drink.

hope you enjoy ....neil

Make the same each year except no wine and make damson jelly for toast with the pulp,in the words of "NESSA from Barry Island"....."LUSH!!!"

Martin

I always add a tea spoon of almond essence to my demijohn of damson or sloe gin. I have numerous bullace shrubs on my ground whose fruit also make a wonderful gin drink. My wife makes lovely pies with the finished stoned fruit after bottling.

I made two lots last season, one from damsons and another from the super abundance of blackberries. Its my first time at making it, although in the past I have made wine and beer. Will be adding the vanilla pod I think as it sounds like a great idea.

Tried a little sip out of each the other day,:drool: just to test the sugar content really ;) May have over done the gin a bit as it has a kick to it. Time will tell, but it certainly warmed up the old engine!!!

I picked my first blackberries of the year last week:
4lb blackberries
12oz sugar
4 bottles washing whisky
4 slightly squshed almonds

The resulting Bramble Whisky will be filtered off a little before Christmas, and the fruit frozen to augement apple crumble, Summer Puddings and so on.

I had about 1lb spare blackberries, which when briefly boiled with 4oz sugar, a couple of quite finely-chopped cooking apples and 1lb of the fruit used for last year's bramble whisky (from the freezer) made a very good Summer-Pudding-type thing.

Back