Doe or Buck

6pointer

Quick chance can you tell a doe or a buck with out antlers and only a glimps at the rear.

27-1-2011013.jpg

FINISHING THE CULL DEPENDS ON IT.

PS frank its not an antlerd doe

Last edited:
Because were i am Muir some other bugger would shoot it before you. If that deer only lifts its head when it is as on to you then there is no shot on or if he walks into an area of safty all is lost ,some times only a split second in roe stalking is all you get.

Yeah, but surely you wouldn't shoot it in the arse either:cuckoo: If you can't see the head, it must be facing mostly away from you..So you'd have to wait for the head to come up for a neck shot anyway, or for it to go broadside, right?.

but yes, everyone knows the female has a tush...the male doesn't. if it's not perfectly clear, don't shoot. Also, if you're managing your deer, you'd surely want to know the age of the animal as well, as not all does or bucks are to be culled. I'd imagine your goal will be to take, say 20% old does, 20% middle aged, and 60% yearlings...'that' you can't tell from looking at its arse,,as opposed ot the two-legged version we know so well...:norty:

pkl at the correct time i would shoot that deer as it stands with out hesitation it would not need to lift its head at all and old bucks and Old Does can travel for 30 -50 yards with out ever lifting there head.
But you are correct i would not shoot a deer in the ass for me and deer thats a one way valve ;). This morning was a recky round the place to see whats what no rush .

pkl at the correct time i would shoot that deer as it stands with out hesitation it would not need to lift its head at all and old bucks and Old Does can travel for 30 -50 yards with out ever lifting there head.
But you are correct i would not shoot a deer in the ass for me and deer thats a one way valve ;). This morning was a recky round the place to see whats what no rush .

Hi,

Sorry, didn't see the picture..my browser is farked...will have a look when I get home:oops:

Because were i am Muir some other bugger would shoot it before you. If that deer only lifts its head when it is as on to you then there is no shot on or if he walks into an area of safty all is lost ,some times only a split second in roe stalking is all you get.

not if he is on sticks mate, i would think your safe enough. :lol:

Let's be honest here
if this was a beast that you needed to finish the cull you would take it wether it be doe or buck and shot placement
as meat damage don't come into this sector, just securing the beast does
as if the pressure was that much then it would on a need basis
since you hav plenty of time from posting then there should not be an issuse considering the amount of knowledge you hav and the deer present on your ground
if the issuse is shoot it before your neighbour does, then that ain't really managing a cull at the realistic value of a stalker
that is shooting it before your neighbour does
that is a totally different management strategy all together
if all you hav is a split second to decide then how would you know that beast is the right one unless you shoot on sight or already recognise the beast from ealier expeditions
lets face it Roe are not the hardest of animals to cull or manage in areas that you are familiar with
as if you fail today, they will be there in the same area 2 morro or next year if you ain't caught up with them
persistence is the key as you know

Stone that was a bit deep i only asked if you could tell just from looking at a deer if it is a doe or a buck. It was purly for the forum i habnt even decided what that ground capacity is never mind set a cull plan.

I'd not take the shot unless i was sure it was in season regardless of cull targets im trusted to manage my deer and thats what i do if i don't meet my cull plan i adjust it for next year to make up for it simillary if the deer have suffered through a bad winter ill reduce my cull the figures ! If your working to somebody elses cull plan and you may loose your stalking if you don't meet it then id take the shot.

27-1-2011015.jpg
An he was a big lad also ha ha sorry about the quality i was close but it was very early no light

Back