Range when shooting off sticks ?

Uncle Buck

Range when your shooting off sticks ?

As most of my stalking is woodland,my deer are taken off sticks.
I find they are normally within the 100 yard range, usually closer.
Bearing in mind we are talking Sticks not a Bipod.

What is your normal range. (within reason now lad's)

Rgds. Buck.

PS. Quigley down under's need not reply thanks.

Last edited:
Depends on what sort of sticks you are using!
I can comfortably group about an inch at 100m off my quad sticks, especially if I can get my back or shoulder against a tree or similar.
The ranges I shoot deer at depends on what Im comfortable with.
You should know yourself what you are comfortable with which is ultimately your own limitation. If in doubt practise and see how good you really are!;)
MS:)

My genuine longest shot was about 80 yards but then again I carry long leg bi-pod and sticks so there's always choice.

My longest shot was my first roe, a doe, a witnessed shot taken off sticks at 140yards. I have not repeated this, all have been within (well within) 100yds.

Simon

Billy i have been shooting off sticks most of my life and feel confident shooting at normal ranges 60 - 100 yards no more than that .

The max range off 4 sticks is the same as prone off a bipod or bag and varies dependent on weather conditions, quarry and need to put something in the larder. Rgds JCS

Don't generally like to shoot over 150yds off sticks standing,i use stoney point bipod sticks and if i can i'll shorten down and sit, quite happy sitting and shooting out to 200yds,longest shot of sticks standing was 240yds the one and only fallow i've shot, perfect heart shot before anyone starts tutting,big target when you are only used to shooting roe.
Neil.

My cull records are kept on an MS Excel file which automatically adjusts the averages / totals etc each time a new piece of info is added. I have only been able to do this for a short while but for the last 30 deer, including those shot by myself and guests, the average is 70m. This is for all deer shot whether they are from sticks, high seats, bipod etc. This is predominantly lowland conditions. I would add that, thinking back, this is probably a fair average representation of all the wild deer I have ever shot.JC

Looking at my records again, the longest was 207m and the closest was 15m during this period. JC

For me the I keep records on excel like JC has said.

2010 Average Distance 107m

Closest Roe Buck at 4m freehand:D

Furthest Standing Sticks; Neck Shot Muntjac 210m, Neck shot roe 213m; Head Shot Fallow 158m; Chest Shot Red 278m all on different days / not with the same shot before anyone asks:D.

Prone Bipod closest Sika at 5m, furthest sika at 367m

Last edited:
I hate the bloody things i would prefer to shoot of a side of a tree but no further than 100 yards.

I don't know
people talking about not shooting off sticks at 100 yards
you should be practicing freehand at that:confused:

upto 200 hundred is my norm
but then you can miss by a mile at 40:D
sticks are just an aid and don't ever guarantee perfection
practice is the key and so is managing your excitement;)

I preffer to stalk in as close as possible when stalking deer so most of my shots are under 100 yards of sticks however i have on occation taken longer shots at the larger deer species of sticks ! I'd rather spook a deer than risk long shots its more of a challange to get in close the deer will always be there for another day

Depends on my rifle. If it's my .308 then it's ok out to about 65-70 yards off sticks. With my HMR, I'll confidently take head shots at 200-250.

Gave up sticks a few years ago. Up to 100yds free hand is ok. But for a neck shot I prefer to have something to lean or rest on.

edi

I usually end up throwing them down and lean on a tree , i think most woodland shots are well inside 100 yards

Back