223 for small deer in England

old keeper

I'm probably way behind the times here but I was in touch with Somerset and Avon (not my force) regarding an FAC application for my Grandson and they told me that if he was using my 223 for deer I would have to keep a log of his progress. No problem there, in truth I wasn't even aware you could use 223s for CWD and muntjac in England. Have many here had this added to their FAC?

CWD and Muntjac can be shot with a .22 CF in England since Oct 07 I believe. What sort of progress are they wanting? Surely an ammunition count on the renewal of his FAC would indicate how often it's used, although, it might not be an accurate true count of Deer shot due to zeroing, practice, etc.......

TJ

This is his first FAc and he is only a lad so I have to act as mentor and give a progress report, All rather academic as there are no muntjac or CWD down here. What interested me rather was the fact it was put on the FAC as fox/small deer when he never asked for it as a small deer rifle. I was told that quite a few FAcs have come back to have small deer added.

I have muntjack listed along with vermin...no mention of CWD, maybe becuase where i have bits of land there aren't any, not sure. I asked for small deer...it came back Muntjack. Not really that bothered as i don't have either on any of my bits of land.....actually wanted the .223 for fox yet they didn't even specify it on my fac, just added muntjack and vermin. Yet on my 6.5x55 they specified deer, fox and vermin....go figure.

its quite common to get it added to your FAC now i think.

Back