selling rifles & shotguns using a gunshop

countrysports5

I might have to sell all my rifles and shotguns. Has anyone used a gunshop to do this for them? What commission do they usually take and can anyone recommend one within reasonable trevelling distance of central scotland? (I'm NOT considering selling to the gunshop but rather that they take a commission on the sale - in the hope that the gunshop might have facilities nearby for someone to try the gun or rifle before buying)

I might have to sell all my rifles and shotguns. Has anyone used a gunshop to do this for them? What commission do they usually take and can anyone recommend one within reasonable trevelling distance of central scotland? (I'm NOT considering selling to the gunshop but rather that they take a commission on the sale - in the hope that the gunshop might have facilities nearby for someone to try the gun or rifle before buying)

Try Alex Dalgleish in Eaglesham. I don't know what he charges but I'm sure you'll get on just fine with him. Or try Tom Young down at the North Ayrshire shooting ground.

If it's an emergency I know there's an RFD in Newmains too. (How many guns are we talking about?)

There are plenty sites to advertise firearms & shotguns, some free with good exposure. At at fair price the dealer them selves look & scan the sites every day, as well as joe public, Sell them there . You can send them yourself via the post office,to any designated RFD, signed on arrival. (mail as 'sports acessory'- not to give the clue tot the package) ;)

Take them all in to your local gunshop and as MS says they usually charge 10% and maybe VAT. Agree a price with them that you are happy with, with maybe a little bit of flexibility in case someone makes an offer and that`s it.;)

I have a gun for sale in my gunshop at the moment with it not shifting too well so my gundealer is taking it to auction next month.

Your gunshop will take all your guns off your FAC and SGC and that allows you to do what you need to do, it aint a problem.

P.S You could even try them on here, just a thought. ;)

Last edited:
Try Guntrader as well mate, you can list private sales on there:;)
My local shop charges about 10% I think which is not bad - just price it at 10% higher than you would have!:p
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/
MS:)

I do not want to sell them myself by advertising here or on line - it's too much hassle and I was ripped off by a buyer many years ago who brought a shotgun back a few days after I sold it and said he had changed his mind so I gave him his money back but then found later the stock had been badly scratched. So it's a gunshop I want to use, especially if it's somewhere the potential buyer can try before he buys

Out of the three mentioned: Alex Dalgleish, Tom Young North Ayrshire Shooting ground, Neil Sutherland Pro Shooting - if I went down the route that they sell on a commission which is the busiest and therefore the most likely to sell - and which is the smallest/quietest?

All three have good reps. All three apear to be busy with a steady throughput. However few will be qulified to answer your question. Also a lot depends on your guns, how much you are chasing. Some names shift a lot quicker than others, Any of them could shift a siver pigeon while a Baikel might stay on the shelf for a long while. Best you could do is phone them. Find their costs, tell them what you need to shift and ask them for an idea of time.
Jim

+1 for Neil Sutherland, absolute gentleman of a man in my personal experience of dealing with him...which incidentally has been a lot.
Give him a call, he would be more than happy to advise I am sure:thumb:

Try Alex Dalgleish in Eaglesham. I don't know what he charges but I'm sure you'll get on just fine with him.

Oh my god, I'd laugh if I didn't think you were serious!

Try Neil Sutherland. He has a good reputation and won't take the ****. He'll also advertise the guns on Guntrader on which i've sold guns myself.

Guys,
Used the rest now try the Best, Neil Sutherland always gives Value and Service and you dont have to wait an hour till he talks to his mates on the Phone like somebody else !!!.

Happy to put my money where my mouth is Dalkur.

Have dealt with Alec for years, sound guy. Don't think they'll be many in the Central belt that have not dealt with him at some point.
Niel Sutherland & Tom Young are also reputable Dealers.

Rgds Buck.

Ps. Take your pick.

For me the obvious, perhaps only, course is to go to Gregor McLeod.

I have bought and sold several guns through him over the years and he is always scrupulously honest.

I am not at all sure that he would take guns for sale on a commission basis but you can email and ask - he does reply fairly promptly.

I would have thought though that selling in bulk would not be the best way as far as getting the best bang for the buck is concerned - can't you wait?

Have a few 'older' friends that swear by Alec but never dealt with him myself but a close friend got shafted by him (his own fault I know) .Tom and Jim down at Dalry I cant fault .Neil ,well a mate swears by him but my sat nav couldnt find his place so the jury's still out on him.:doh:To be honest everyone 1 will have different opinions on every shop mate so best of luck.

Back