BEST TIME TO GO STALKING

CHRIS WORLEY

I am wondering what time the more experienced members prefer to go out stalking this time of the year,or does it depend on where the deer are.

As Dave has said, although this time of year I prefer mornings as the midges do not seem so active as they do at night. Plus really I do like being out and about pre dawn.

John

Well, at the moment, when ever the bloody rain stops for a start :eek:

I personally would rather go out in the evening because i`m a lazy get :eek: .

Seriously i have stopped going out at 3.30/4.00am because quite a number of years ago i realised that i wasn`t actually seeing and shooting anything until about 8.30/9am, and sometimes later :eek:
Obviously you have the benefit of wandering about for as long as you want in the morning, rather than evening.

This is just what i have found and put it down to the sun not really warming up and drying the dew of until then, especially with roe, personal choice. :rolleyes:

wadas

hi chris
normaly i do either mornings or evenings but while the roe rut is on , i often find that between 2pm -5pm the bucks are quite active then back out again for the evening stalk from about 7:30pm onwards so you can get 3 stalks in on a day with quite a good success rate
with muntjac anything from 11am-3pm can also proove quite productive at this time of year aswell as the mornining and evening stalks
just be carefull of the full moon as my deer are less active in the mornings and often tend to move on last light as so to speak, so stalking can be a little less productive in that period
hope this helps
stone

I have very little experience, but I can tell you that twice I have seen roe at 9.30 am in plantations once early morning rain has stopped and the sun has come out. Nothing at all before then, not even a squirrel.
Regards.

time

The wonderful thing about deer is, they cannot read. This means that they are not usually out when the books say (dawn and dusk) Deer will come dependant on area, feeding requirements, weather etc. It can vary considerably.

One area that I use it is about an hour after daylight, and the other is 1.5 to 2 hours after.
In the evening, the deer wont come out on one till right on dusk, the other is 3 hours before and up till dark

J

Although I prefer Sparras fart! :D It is a bugger when there is nowt about!
and, maybe the extra couple of hours kip would sharpen my thoughts.
Then again going out after a 12 hour shift, for an evening stalk , can be numbing! I guess I have drawn a conclusion!!! (Duh) I go on my 4 days off doing a Martini impression , ANYTIME ANYPLACE ANYWHERE!! :lol:
and go back on shift knackered but happy!!!
Trapper

best time for stalking

When I stalked accompanied in northumberland the keeper would not set foot outside before 6am we always saw deer and to be fair if its roe I would if they are not harrased say he had it right,woodland red or sika then crack of dawn,however if the rain has landed and it brightens up they will be out and about during the day
You have to do your homework :!: :!: :!:

amberdog

early morning for me and i mean early before light and i find most of the good bucks will be got at this time and last light and i mean when the birds have stopped singing at the dead silence has made every thing feel creepy. They will of coarse feed through the night and deer being dawn and dusk is just a load of crap they are nearly nocturnal and more will be seen in the dead of night than at any other time.

6.5 x 55 said:
early morning for me and i mean early before light and i find most of the good bucks will be got at this time and last light and i mean when the birds have stopped singing at the dead silence has made every thing feel creepy. They will of coarse feed through the night and deer being dawn and dusk is just a load of crap they are nearly nocturnal and more will be seen in the dead of night than at any other time.

interesting comments
, would like to know more about your stalking ability here and also the ability to see deer in such darkness, not many stalkers i know, are capable of this feat ,those that can, usualy end up scraping there knuckles in the undergrowth :rolleyes:

After spending wednesday to friday stalking in pretty much unrelenting rain i would say the best time is ANY TIME ITS NOT RAINING. :(

Suppose it did at least keep the midges away.

(stone says )interesting comments
, would like to know more about your stalking ability here and also the ability to see deer in such darkness, not many stalkers i know, are capable of this feat ,those that can, usually end up scraping there knuckles in the undergrowth .

I go out before the sunrise stone and soon as it is possible to see through good optics i start glassing it is in this situation i have grassed most of the old and very large bucks. Most other stalkers i know go out in my opinion when the light is well up and the deer have made there way in to cover to chew the cud.

ps scraping there knuckles is meant to mean what ? i didn't get that bit.

6.5 x 55 said:
I go out before the sunrise stone and soon as it is possible to see through good optics i start glassing it is in this situation i have grassed most of the old and very large bucks.
now i am confused :confused:
you go out before sunrise but don't start glassing till it gets light enough to see, then what?
you shoot what your bucks then
is this before sunrise or after?
i presume you do the same on the evening before or after sunset?

It is an opinion that's all. Still dragging my knuckles on this one. :oops:

300wsm said:
Also dont forget that Deer Managers have routines too and the time they have Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner will affect the times they are out stalking you can not cull the deer if you are not out on the ground :lol:
you forgot supper and midnight munchies :lol: :lol:

300 - great stuff there.

Can you break it down further by time of year - so we can see the relationships of the times to dusk/dawn - can you do it by guestimation perhaps?

Dont want to make work for you! a guess will do!

Back