Thread: Bench Rest Primers

Bench Rest Primers

Is it ok to use CCI LR Bench Rest Primers for ordinary re-loading purposes, or are these particularly for target shooting only?

They are excellent and very consistent primers - I use them for most of the faster loads I have developed for my .270. You shouldn't have any problems with them for most purposes - hunting or target.

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    The only thing that you should NEVER do (except in blackpowder cartridges where anything that gives a "spark" will do) is substitute pistol primers for rifle primers of the same size as they are not designed for the higher pressures generated.

better suited to powders that are slower burning i was told. to give it that extra spark. i have used them in 22/250 loads and between them and the standard cci 200 primers i cant find a difference to grouping. so consistancy seams the same.

havent chrono them though to she if there is any difference in speed. as the 22/250 is a fast burning round anyway. ie'' you use fast burning powder it dont really need them. but if your usinf slower burning powder in a bigger caliber then i would use them

bench rest primers are more consistent than standard primers and will give more of an even burn and less velocity spread

I've used them for years for a number of cartridge types. No problems. Possibly a bit better for colder temperatures than standard primers. Better 'kindling' I believe, is the word.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.