Roe buck antlers

devilishdave

I was out on a patch tonight in the South of England and saw a Buck in velvet with a cracking head, it was already 8-9 inches tall, tines were not fully developed but the head was already looking spectacular. I watched him from the high seat he passed me just 15m away. I could hear his hooves on the dry leaves.

I have been stalking the North of England for the last 2 weeks and the tallest I saw was 4 inches of growth. Is this a bit of an exception for the south or does it tend to be the norm this level of development at this time of the year?

Dave

Out yesterday morning in North Yorkshire on the coast and two bucks were seen with extremely good heads (rare for around here) about 9 - 10 inches - very suprised at how far on they were nevermind the size.
Tonyc

Out yesterday morning in North Yorkshire on the coast and two bucks were seen with extremely good heads (rare for around here) about 9 - 10 inches - very suprised at how far on they were nevermind the size.
Tonyc

In North Yorks last week I too saw a nice buck, already showing 6 full points and around 9-10 inches of growth.

DC

As you know i have put video up of bucks in velvet that are very tall and what we would call well on. The older bucks normally rub first and i have seen them well rubbed at the end of feb. So if they are going to make any thing really they would need to be very tall and very wide because the differnce in velvet to hard antler is alot.ps dave d were was you camera

This one is just a baby and will not make a good head at all.

29-1-2011014.jpg

This fella will make a good head i feel but i will take some more pictures as i will see him i am sure a few times over the next month or two.

VIDEO

Last edited:
I was out looing for Mr Fox one night and spotted a buck grazing in the open. I think even David Bailey himself would have struggled in that light. Plus I didn't have a camera with me.

I really should start to carry one around with me.

DC

I was out this morning spotted two large Roe Bucks in the middle of a rape field fighting i try not to pay to much attention to how big they look now as its quite deceiving with them covered in velvet !

.ps dave were was you camera?

29-1-2011014.jpg

VIDEO

Fair one referance the camera, I have a good digi SLR but it was at home I just had Binos and Rifle. I expect my doe cull at this patch will be done in the next week so I will start getting out with the camera.

Dave

Back